George's Reviews > Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned

Don't Know Much About Mythology by Kenneth C. Davis

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: nook-st, non-fiction
Read from January 20 to 27, 2012

AN AUTODIDACT’S DELIGHT.

“…humans are mythmaking animals, retelling ancient stories to fulfill present needs.”—page 206

I haven’t felt this smart since I finished reading Will Durant’s ‘The Story of Philosophy,’ decades ago. That said and the book read, I’m still more mythology moron than maven.

In her excellent and inviting synopsis/review, on the goodreads.com page, of Neil Gaiman’s, ‘Ameican Gods,’ (a novel I recently added to my ‘to-read’ shelf) Sharon Bosley writes, parenthetically, “(A word of advice: Before reading, you may want to brush up on your mythology. There is a lot of it in here.).” As luck, or the gods (your choice) would have it, I had downloaded a ‘free Fridays’ Nookbook copy of Kenneth C. Davis’s, ‘Don’t Know Much About Mythology,’ only seven days before reading Ms. Bosley’s advice. So now seemed like a good time to read this book, while I waited for a digital copy of ‘American Gods’ to become available from the public library, and start my own Barnes and Noble ‘Free Fridays’ myth.

‘Don’t Know Much About Mythology,’ by Kenneth C. Davis: 1) is overwhelming; 2) at 557 ePages, probably can only just barely scratch the surface of such an immense subject; and 3) offers up a very readable, quite enjoyable ‘scratch’ indeed.

Recommendation: Best for those between twelve and a hundred twenty, with an active imagination and a thirst for wonder.

“[According to some early Common Era Chinese writings] It was human ingenuity—not divine intervention—that was seen as the solution to most problems.”—pag 311

A Barnes & Noble ‘free Firdays’ NOOKbook, 557 pages

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Know Much About Mythology.