The Holy Terror's Reviews > Death and the Girl Next Door

Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

2016128
Oct 24, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance, arc, angels, demons, 2012, wish-i-never-read, awful-worldbuilding, you-disappointed-me
Read from September 24 to October 04, 2012

I apologize for my gushing status updates in the beginning. Please, don't pick this book up because of them. I'm not sure what happened here, but this book is nowhere near the caliber I expect from Jones. The plot made no sense, the humor dried up, and the male posturing was so over-the-top that it became absurd and incredibly annoying. I had to make a new shelf just for this book - "you disappointed me" - and it saddens me to put it there. If the beginning hadn't been so enjoyable I would've given this 1 star, and perhaps I should do just that because of the spoiled potential.

So, you have the main girl who thinks she's ugly and not special (though of course she's quite the opposite), two sassy best friends, the mean popular girl and her minions, and two preternaturally hot guys who are at each other's throats constantly. And I mean, constantly. If they aren't fist-fighting they're trading sarcastic quips or glowering at one another. Lots of puffed-up chests and ruffled feathers and it gets TIRESOME. And once you learn why the one boy hates the other boy it becomes stupid, especially when he learns the truth and still carries on. Seriously, dude, you're just embarrassing yourself now.

I can't believe this book was published the way it was; there are some parts of the story where the action is so haphazardly pieced together that you're forced to re-read just to be able to follow along. There are also way too many plot points crammed into one book, which adds to the confusion. Was this a paranormal romance? A book about angels? A book about demon hunters? Ghost hunters? Secret societies? Ancient prophecies? How about ... all of the above? And not a single one was fully developed.

This book was a total mess. It felt like a rough draft that nobody bothered to check for continuity or plausibility before sending it out to the printers. It's full of the same old, same old that's being churned out hand over fist and it's so disappointing to see a book like this with Jones's name on it. I honestly wish I hadn't read it and I think I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist because I love Jones's adult series and this foray into YA fiction was a complete letdown.

A copy of this book was provided by NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death and the Girl Next Door.

09/24/2012
0.0% "I haven't been able to read much over the last week but NetGalley approved me for this today and I WANT TO READ IT RIGHT NOW.

*ahem*

Sorry ... I just really, really like her books ...

09/25/2012
0.0% "I highlighted a bunch last night and ended up reading about 20%, but I'll update later. I just wanted to quickly say that I love that the cover actually matches up with the characters. (Her eyes are even the right color.) Pale, feisty, redheads FTW!" 2 comments
09/25/2012
2.0% ""Glitch," Brooklyn said, a warning edge in her voice, "I will stab you in the face if you ever speak to me again."

I already love this girl.

09/25/2012
4.0% "Stepping back into the hall, I glanced around in search of the dark-headed boy, to no avail. Disappointment washed over me. For one thing, I wanted a better look. For another, I wanted a better look.

:D

09/25/2012
7.0% ""Okay, so I was wondering, if Cameron kidnaps you, kills you, then buries your lifeless body in a shallow grave in the desert where your remains lay decomposing for several decades until they're accidentally discovered by some guy on a journey to reawaken his spirit at the Salinas Pueblo Missions, can I have your iMac?""
09/25/2012
8.0% ""I don't get it any more than you do. Cameron Lusk hasn't said two words to me since he stopped Joss Duffy from pasting my eyelids shut in kindergarten."
"Joss Duffy tried to paste your eyelids shut in kindergarten?"
"Only that one time. So why—?"
"With actual paste?"
"Yes."
"Wouldn't it take a really long time to dry?"
I'd lost her."
09/25/2012
10.0% "It was the new guy. And his eyes were amazing. Dark, steady, penetrating.
Pentrating?
"Are you okay?" he asked.
Where'd penetrating come from?"
09/26/2012
21.0% "Wut."
09/26/2012
37.0% "Already at this point I feel like my review is just going to be an embarrassing amount of fangirling. Bear with me." 2 comments
09/27/2012
37.0% "It's awesome that 8 of my friends added this after I started reading/squeeing. Yes, minions, read the books I love! Muahahahaha." 5 comments
09/29/2012
61.0% "The middle slowed a bit and the boys brooding and angst is getting a bit old, but there are enough twists and turns (like Jones normally throws in) to keep me from guessing exactly what's coming up next. I also like that this love triangle isn't really a love triangle, well, at least I think it's not going to end up with Lorelei in the middle. We shall see ..."
10/04/2012
100.0% "I really loved the beginning. The rest ... ? Not so much."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyndi (new)

Lyndi Daaaaamn. I don't even know who this author is and have never heard of the book, yet I now feel disappointed.

message 2: by Ms. Library (new)

Ms. Library Sometimes I feel when authors go into YA, they're like "Ohm they just need like love triangles and bad boys right?" YA audiences don't CARE about writing.
Newsflash: Yes, yes we do.

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy I did happen to pick this one up based on your status updates, but as I continued to read it I was surprised by your glowing status updates because of all the issues you mentioned above. I will probably finish it even though it is everything you are saying it is and for here on out stick to her adult series.

The Holy Terror I'm sorry -__-

CJ - Drop Dead Cute ruh roh sorry babw

message 6: by Ruby Slippers (new)

Ruby Slippers The title was so alluring though! I'm really tired of YA clichés so I'll be staying away from this.

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy The Holy Terror wrote: "I'm sorry -__-"

There is no need to apologize. I still hold your reviews in high regard and as a minion I will continue to add books to my TBR list once you rave about them.
: )

message 8: by Kira (new) - added it

Kira Thanks for the warning. I took this off my hold list at the library after seeing your review. Sounds as bad as Need...

Cathy From something she said in the acknowledgement, I got the impression that this is one that she wrote long before her adult series got popular, and she just reworked it (obviously not enough) to put out now that her name is known. I could be wrong, but from the style of the book now that I'm half-way through, I'd be willing to bet that's true. It's a shame she didn't just start fresh. I've seen this a few times now and it never works. The fans always end up wondering why their favorite authors wrote a book that feels so awkward and amateur.

The Holy Terror Hmm, interesting point, Cathy. I'm not sure the acknowledgements were in my copy since I had an arc (they might have been, I often skip over them though.) I'll have to go back and look. It very much felt like she had this awesome idea and then it just petered out as she continued writing and she really should have torn the whole thing apart and started over. It just didn't flow naturally and the basic structure was shaky. Maybe the next book will be better ...

Lisa (Fic Talk) Maybe she should just stick to writing for adults maybe?

The Holy Terror Lisa (Fic Talk) wrote: "Maybe she should just stick to writing for adults maybe?"

I think she should. She writes really good hot guys and sex scenes so I kind of wish she'd just stay away from YA.

message 13: by April (new) - added it

April Vaughan Im with you all the way! I started this book a month ago and im still not done with it. at first I loved the book. I was really enjoying it. Then it all just went to he!! pretty fast. i doubt i will finish it.

Shannon Is there a chapter missing? I have stopped reading because I thought I had a bad copy...but does it just jump around? i am so confused!

Kill the Spare Oh my God yes, this book was terrible. I too had my hopes up since I LOVE the Charley Davidson series! It seemed like it wasn't even written by the same author!

message 16: by Rae (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rae Quigley YES. I am so glad to see another review that has the same feelings toward the book.