Lexie's Reviews > Throne of the Crescent Moon

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: review-night-owl-romance, genre-fantasy, book-type-hardcover, books-owned-read
Read from March 14 to 15, 2012

Sword and Sorcery with Arabian Nights flare, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON was a book I would gobbled up and read endlessly as a teen. Instead of the usual medieval society setting we have a the lush and evocative world of the Crescent Moon Kingdoms. Ruled over by the Khalif, but haunted by the master thief the Falcon Prince, the Kingdoms find themselves caught in the middle of the struggle even as the citizens are murdered by a terrifying supernatural force.

What drew me in the most by the book is that the language is so very different from many of the fantasies I read today. Even while tossing insults, trading barbs and outright insulting one and other the characters were formal in their speech and that intrigued me. Adoulla, our main character and an unlikely hero at the advanced age of 60, places great stock in the niceties, even while facing his foes.

Ahmed has a nice contrast between Adoulla's righteous, stubborn and sometimes reckless assistant Raseed, the vengeful, powerful and often violent Zamia and Adoulla's own arrogance and lassitude in regards to the future. This isn't to say Adoulla isn't keen to solve the murders, or find the Falcon Prince, but he's so confident he will that there leaves little room for doubt. He says it will be, so it will be.

For many this won't be their cup of tea--whether its Ahmed's choice of a hero or the more thoughtful, less action oriented tone of the book, this won't please everyone. For those who are looking for a fantasy with a different sense of magic, who's hero is confident in himself, and not some young pup fresh-faced and unseasoned...this will work wonderfully and make them eager for the next volume.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of the Crescent Moon.

03/14/2012 page 15