Beks's Reviews > A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar

A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, already-reviewed
Read from January 20 to 24, 2012

This is one of the most enjoyable novels I have read in a long time. It tells two stories - Eva's and Freida's - in alternating chapters. This is among my favorite of narrative styles so I was greatly pleased. Also I loved the fact that Eva's story was told in a rather obscure location and time period - Western China in the 1920's.

Freida while in modern day London, still is exploring different cultures both in her personal in professional life. And that really is what I feel this story is about. Both parts of the story explore the differences in culture and if they could possibly mesh.

This was such a complex story all of the details which you think are irrelevant combine and are woven into a wonderful ending.

Only thing I would change if I could would be the occasional strong language. This is something which fairly conservative readers might want to be cautious about.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bloomsbury USA for a chance to read this book for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar.