Candi's Reviews > A Man Without a Country

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2012

My friend Katie lent me this book...yesterday. I found I couldn't put it down even though it is not a page turning plot or anything. It's a collection of the authors thoughts and they are compelling and stretch over a really long life. I didn't always agree with everything in the book, but maybe that's good?

Chapter six is my favorite part, about mailing pages to a typist, it was magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man Without a Country.

KatieSuzanne That was my favorite chapter too! Going on about the envelope and stamps and the lady behind the counter who he thinks wears fun hair just for others entertainment… and who thought to make that envelope just the perfect size for him. Totally makes me laugh. You should try a book of his. It's the same. There are parts you don't agree with or really enjoy a lot but you'll keep thinking to yourself, this writing is genius. I suggest Breakfast of Champions.

Candi I loved that he said his wife read Nancy Drew as a kid and so had to ask him where he was going. It was fun and thoughtful and frustrating.
Do you perhaps have Breakfast of Champions?

KatieSuzanne If I don't I should. I should. I have another book of real short stories of his. Welcome to the Monkey House.