Heather's Reviews > Domestic Violets

Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman

Jan 20, 12

Read in December, 2011

This was not a book I would have picked up had it not been recommended to me by someone whose opinion I trust. I am so glad that I did pick it up, because I devoured it compulsively in one sitting. The protagonist Tom Violet is a slightly-better-than-average guy with a job he hates, a wife and daughter he loves, and a famous father with whom he has an uneasy relationship. The novel made me wish I could be friends with Tom Violet so I could daily partake of his humorous work-rants, but also so I could kick him in the arse for being an idiot in numerous situations. I don't want to give any of the plot away... it's better if one just lets the story unfold as Tom's life begins to unravel and see when/if/how the hero will manage. This is a highly satisfying contemporary novel that provokes numerous snorts, much laughter, frequent eye-rolling, occasional fist-pumping, at least once instance of name-calling, some tears, and a dose of hope that life - in spite of all we do to mess things us - does not necessarily need to be an unmitigated disaster.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Domestic Violets.