Hwa Sun's Reviews > Perfect Cover

F_50x66
Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery, humor, ya, review
Read from March 30 to May 15, 2012

I think the idea that cheerleaders being secret agents in disguise is super cool. Well, at least in theory. I don't know how it would work out in real life...

Anyways, I really like the writing because sarcasm is my favorite writing style. It's easier for me to write and relate to because that's how I am in real life.

Toby (the main character) is hilariously awesome. She's filled to the brim with sarcasm. I was smiling/laughing throughout 90% of the book.

A second reason why I liked Toby is because throughout the book, she changes from an ignorant, hater of all things pink and sparkly to a slightly less ignorant, hater of some things pink and sparkly. In other words, she grows up, and stops being so close minded.

But, even though Toby and her hate for all things girly was funny, she went way over the top with it sometimes, to the point where it wasn't even funny anymore. It just seemed fake. And the way that Toby just automatically fit the whole spy thing was pretty unrealistic.

And speaking of fake, what kind of school is Bayport High? Seriously? Almost everyone worships the squad, including the vice principle. They skipped classes and he didn't even care! Even Toby's mom didn't mind when her daughter came home from school with a major makeover, looking like a Barbie doll.

There were lots of characters in this book that I found extremely annoying or hateful. Like Noah, Chloe, Haley, etc.

As far as the plot goes, it wasn't that great. There wasn't anything too special about it.

Also, there were some awkward/inappropriate moments in the book. For instance, Toby had to search a guy to get a disk from him. Guess where it was?

There was foul language, too.

The ending isn't really much of an ending, it's more like a cut off. There's so many unanswered questions, I want to know what happens next.

Hwa Sun :)

P.S. What does she have against pink?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Cover.