Frank's Reviews > Man's Search for Meaning

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: meaning-and-happiness, favorites
Recommended for: people who want to live a fulfilling life
Read in July, 1983 — I own a copy

After I read this book, which I finished many, many years ago, I had become self-critical of any future endeavours which would take up a lot of my time. I would ask myself "is this or will this be meaningful to me?", and if the answer was "no", I wouldn't do it. It was this book that influenced me to consciously live as meaningful a life as possible, to place a great value on the journey and not just the destination, while knowing that "meaningful" doesn't always mean "enjoyable". "Meaningful" should be equated with "fulfilling".

So I studied Physics instead of Engineering. I went to York U instead of U of T. I went to Europe instead of immediately entering the workforce after graduation.

I want to recommend this book to all of my grade 12 students.
123 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man's Search for Meaning.

12/02/2013 marked as: favorites
12/02/2013 marked as: read
12/02/2013 marked as: favorites
12/02/2013 marked as: meaning-and-happiness
12/02/2013 marked as: read

I read the book to find a solid answer, but i could not find one @@

Frank Hiep wrote: "How do u judge something is meaningful or not.
I read the book to find a solid answer, but i could not find one @@"

Hi Hiep, it is nice to hear from you! It has to be something beyond yourself, usually in service to others. Solving geometry problems, for example, is fulfilling for me, but it becomes meaningful when I can teach the analysis to my students.

Judging by what I have read in other books (see my "meaning and happinness" category here on Goodreads), the use of your strengths will give you fulfillment. Use those strengths in service to others (directly or indirectly) and you will find meaning.

So, what gives a person's life a sense of meaning will differ from person to person.

If you have any questions, feel free to write again.

Hiep Vu Sorry! There is something wrong with my software