Dawn's Reviews > Penelope & Prince Charming

Penelope & Prince Charming by Jennifer Ashley

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: 2011-books, historical-romance, witches-mage-magic
Read in January, 2012

Damian is a dilettante expatriate, he is truly the thing that royal princes are made of, he beds lots of women, charms men & women alike and lives rather lavishly but he is also hunted assassins are constantly after him. It all changes one night after Damian receives word his father is dead, no he must decide will he become the Imperial Prince or will he continue his playboy lifestyle. Well in case you did not guess he goes home to save his country, but to save his country he must fulfill the prophecy of bringing back the long lost Princess as his bride. His search takes him to the town of Little Marching, in England, where he sees Penelope whom he falls in love with at first site. Damian knows he must fulfill the prophecy but he wants to take just this moment for himself. Penelope is an ordinary daughter of a baronet who resides in the country with her widowed mother. She has prepared her life for spinsterhood because she herself has broken not one but engagements earning her a reputation as a jilt. Needless to say that Penelope is having some issues adjusting to the idea of love at first site.

Overall this is a fun read and at times I even felt a little emotional both laughing outside and tearing up a bit. The way the prophecy is weaved into the story line it makes you believe in love at first sight. The book is also very sensual without being raunchy. I really like how Ms Ashley writes her love scenes. While this is a period piece it really does not feel like it meaning the story feels classic where time stands still. Personally I really like that, if it was not for the cameo of Prince George I would have forgotten. I also really enjoyed all of the secondary characters they really added to the overall story line and helped develop the main characters. As a heroine Penelope was perfect she is stern without being overbearing and innocent without being stupid. Damian was also a good hero he is somewhat complex while he is demanding, manipulates people with his charm at times he is selfish and egotistical but he is also a man on a mission to save his country and he places that above everything else.

The only issue I have with this book was the ending because it was a bit anti-climatic and abrupt. The book has such detail about getting to Nvengaria and then we finally make it but forty pages or so it is over. I had questions like did the people like the princess? How did she win them over? Was the prophecy actually broken what was the prophecy? What happened to Wolf was he accepted? How did the mages come back? The confrontation between the Alexander and Damian was well not really noteworthy.

Regardless of my issues the writing style is fantastic. I read this one straight through and enjoyed it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Penelope & Prince Charming.