Alyssa's Reviews > The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

Jan 20, 2012

it was ok

I usually quite like steampunk, so I was pretty excited to start reading this book but in the end, it somehow fell short for me. I suppose the main thing that bothered me about it was that EVERYONE seemed to be a historical figure, and not all of them really made a whole lot of sense in the alternate reality of the story (not that I actually know a whole lot about the history). I guess it just felt a bit gimmicky to me :( The other big thing I had a hard time with was... (view spoiler) I guess I just didn't quite get it.

I did like the two main characters, Burton and Swinburne, for whom I would be willing to give the series another chance and read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack.

Reanne Oxford's motivations seemed rather unbelievable to me, too, when I read this one. However, in the third book, it's explained that the unreasonable obsession was planted in his head by an outside force that had a type of mind-control power, and before he went back in time even he wondered at one point why he was so obsessed with this historical footnote. Basically he was forced into doing that in the same way that other characters were forced into behaving certain ways. So the books did, at least, address this point later on.