Tammy's Reviews > The Novice

The Novice by Trudi Canavan

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: own, fantasy
Read from February 13 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

Sonea enters the Guild's University, and predictably, becomes a target for bullies. Meanwhile, Dannyl's ambassadorial duties take him away from Kyralia and on a secret mission to investigate the High Lord.

I really, really enjoyed this book, and could not put it down. It is much better than the first book. While not particularly original (popular boy picks on outcast prodigy), it was very satisfying. The ending was awesome. I was up until 5am last night finishing it off, and I even started the first chapter of the next book, The High Lord. I wish I hadn't read a spoiler for the trilogy in a review for Priestess of the White. It still hasn't been 'revealed' yet, and definitely kills some of the tension. I'm not sure if I would have figured it out anyway though. I probably would have strongly suspected.

I liked that Sonea's reactions were so mature. She tried to avoid conflict and hoped Regin would get bored. It worked just about as well as you would expect (and about as well as she expected), that is, not at all. Some might be frustrated with her passivity, but I empathized with the irrational desire to 'do the right thing'. I will never have that kind of emotional control or maturity, but that may not be a bad thing. Roughly half the book focused on Sonea, and the other half, on Dannyl. His story was interesting, but I always rushed through it to get back to Sonea's parts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Novice.