Lara's Reviews > Stop in the Name of Pants!

Stop in the Name of Pants! by Louise Rennison

Mar 28, 2009

bookshelves: ya-read
Read in July, 2008

This book is 9th in the "Confessions of Georgia Nicolson" series, and it had me chuckling, snickering, laughing, and snorting out loud. Seriously - I cannot count how many times Rob said, "What's so funny?", only to have me reply, "Heh heh. This BOOK! It is so ridiculous! And Silly! I love it!"

I'm not sure that this kind of humor appeals to everyone. And I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if I'd never read any of the others in the series (Yes, yes: I read the first four or five of these even before I had aspirations of being a book reviewer/wannabe YA novelist. In fact, it is Georgia Nicolson who inspired me to start saying things like "gorgeosity" and "gorgey porgey". Which, out of context (and perhaps also in context) actually sounds kind of stupid. Hrm. Or "oo-er", as Georgia would say). I would probably think it was pretty random. However, I can say without doubt that this kind of humor appeals to ME.

Georgia Nicolson is an English teenager who loves boys, makeup, her cat Angus, her little sister Libby, and the "Ace Gang" (her group of friends). She also loves making fun of her parents. So, basically, these books are pure fluff. But just TRY to tell me they aren't funny. TRY.

Oh, Allah be praised!!! (Er, sorry about that, Baby Jesus. I don't know why I came over a bit Muslim then, but we are all in the same cosmic gang, after all. Clearly I have my favorite, which is Baby Jesus, but generally I am a fan of the whole caboodle. In case any of them are also omnipotent like Big G.)

Still not convinced?

Imagine Georgia in school, reading the prologue to Romeo & Juliet out loud in class. To give you a bit of background, in jolly England, apparently, "pants" is used instead of "panties" or "underwear", and Georgia and her ace gang find it hilarious to work the word "pants" into odd places (like singing The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Pants and whatnot). It may sound dumb now, but I promise, you will giggle like a 15-year-old when you read it. Ergo:

I said: "Two households both alike in dignity, in fair Verona (where we lay our scene). From ancient grudge break to" - (and I couldn't resist the comedy opportunity) - "From ancient grudge break to new nudity, Where civil pants makes civil pants unclean." Oh, we laughed.

Still? Still not laughing? How about the idea of the German language being "comedy gold"? And the ace gang doing their "world-renowned Viking disco inferno dance"? And calling Italy "Pizza-a-Go-Go-Land"?

Well, fine, then. I don't think we can be friends anymore. Louise Rennison, on the other hand? If you ever make it to Hamburger a-Go-Go Land, give me a call and we'll hang out in vino hairyarse. I think I luuuurve you.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stop in the Name of Pants!.