Jenna's Reviews > The Disenchantments

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012-release, good-people-club, need-to-reread, ohh-the-feelings, road-trip, music-theme, summer-books
Read from February 18 to 23, 2012

When I saw that Nina LaCour was writing another book, I fangirled super hard. I love love loved Hold Still and it's still one of my favorite books that I will read over and over and over. So when I read the premise and saw the cover, I was so excited to start this book.

It was good, but not as good as I wanted it to be.

With Hold Still, you get a book about a girl struggling with the loss of a best friend. The absence of the friend is so heavy and feel-y, and you just wish the friend was still alive for the sake of the main character. With The Disenchantments, you still feel the absence, but this time the character is alive and present throughout the novel. But I wish she was dead.

I disliked Bev very much. She was careless with others and their feelings. Sure, I get that you were too scared to tell Colby about how you were actually going to college, but still. You should have told him. It would have hurt him, but not as much as you hurt him this way. I could see why Colby loved Bev though; she was entrancing and she almost put others under this spell. But those people I cannot stand.

The other cast of characters such as Colby, Meg, Alexa, Jasper, and all the other little minor parts were wonderous. I loved Colby as a narrator and as a person. I just wanted to give him a hug, and I found myself wishing he was real so we could be friends because honestly, he would make a great friend. Same with Meg, Alexa, and Jasper (even though Jasper was somewhat minor). They were so realistic and 3-D with their quirks and personalities, I just wished they were real so I could be friends with them all.

The plot of the road trip/tour and finding the tattoo and all their other little adventures were very...I wouldn't say cute, but I can't figure out another way to describe it, so let's go with cute. Their belief of letting fate lead your through your decisions, a la Magic 8 Ball, gave the book a sense of whimsy and innocence.

Overall, I loved the book a lot. I wouldn't say it was amazingly perfect, but it was close. So very close to becoming a 5 star book. But the feeling Colby had of how he couldn't do anything without Bev on his side left me annoyed and I just wanted to slap Bev across the face so much. Plus, the name Bev annoyed me to no end.

I would definitely recommend it though. It's on my favorites, but not high up there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disenchantments.

Quotes Jenna Liked

Nina LaCour
“I need to leave something behind. Something that will stay. This room should be a historical landmark, the site of the beginning and end of Colby and Bev. Several minutes have passed, and I know that if I wait too long there will be a knock on the door and I'll have to go, but I need to leave a mark. It has to be significant enough to last, but subtle enough that the maid won't notice and wash it away.
As I'm looking around I realize that I never noticed the print above the bed. It's another in the family series - a faded wedding portrait. Groom in tux. Bride with pearls. It comes off the wall easily.I set the print on the bedspread and wit eht dust on the wall with the sleeve of my hood. I take out a Sharpie from my bag. The wall has yellowed to create a perfect rectangle where the photograph must have been hanging, unremoved, for years.
I fill the whiter space with this: I never got to tell you how beautiful you are.
And then I return the frame to its place on the wall and go back out into the night.”
Nina LaCour, The Disenchantments

02/18/2012 page 47
15.0% "I like where this book is going, but I can't stand the name Bev."