Lindsey's Reviews > A Home at the End of the World

bookshelves: singles, gay-lit
Recommended for: Cunningham fans
Read from January 20 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

3.5

This one is a bit hard to review since the plot mostly revolves around three characters who are very difficult to get a firm grasp on. I think Bobby was the most likable of the lot, with his naive puppy-like nature that just made you want to both hug and shake him half the time. Jonathan was the strongest character, with all his intricacies and his struggle over his loves and what his life meant to him, but he could also be incredibly frustrating when he wasn't being amusing. I can't say I liked Clare much. She was all right when they first introduced her as Jonathan's heterosexual life partner, but she just declined in personality from there. I never quite got her issues, and she was just unpleasant toward the end. I guess I can see her conflict in raising a child with two men and feeling trapped in a world of decay. But... she was not my cup of tea. Alice also hit the spectrum from intriguing to exasperating. These characters were overall hard because they were so complex and raw and open, Cunningham's usual. And like Cunningham's usual style, the plot was mostly watching them deal with their warped view of the world.

That said, the writing is still poignant and beautiful and they were a fascinating case study in what it really means to love someone for all their flaws and how complicated love can really be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home at the End of the World.

01/20/2012 "I'm not in the mood for more supernatural or more Gaiman yet so Cunningham it is. I still can't believe I never read this, despite owning it for YEARS."
01/23/2012 page 50
14.0% "I have no idea what this book is about, but Cunningham's prose is so gorgeous, I never really care."
01/24/2012 page 109
31.0% "Alice is a pretty interesting character. I'm sad to know they're going to trade her for the third main character that's supposed to show up in this book."
01/26/2012 page 150
43.0% "Already not liking how this Clare thing is going..."
01/27/2012 page 200
57.0% "Jonathan. :( I wish I could finish this this weekend, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening. I was too damn exhausted to read yesterday."
01/28/2012 page 260
74.0% "While I"m stiff iffy on how I feel about Clare, I do like that this book presents the realities of living as a trio/threesome. It's fascinating."
01/29/2012 page 310
88.0% "Yeah, not a fan of Clare."