Shannon's Reviews > Damned

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, read-in-2012
Read from January 20 to 25, 2012

This was my first experience reading anything by Chuck Palahniuk. I did not enjoy the beginning third or so of Damned -- actually I hated it. I was irritated by the Narrator beyond measure and felt Palahniuk was trying too hard to be witty and snarky. This may very well be his writing style, but as I said I am not familiar with his other works.

At some later point in the book Madison grew on me, and perhaps the writing seemed less forced, as the rest of the novel was very enjoyable and quick to read. If there is a sequel then I'll look forward to reading it, but I couldn't rate Damned higher than three stars as my hatred for the beginning ran so deep. I'll have to read more from Chuck Palahniuk before I can decide if is writing is for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damned.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Chuck Palahniuk
“Hope is something really tough and tenacious you have to give up. It’s an addiction to break.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Death is a long process," Archer says. "Your body is just the first part of you that croaks." Meaning: Beyond that, your dreams have to die. Then your expectations. And your anger about investing a lifetime in learning shit and loving people and earning money, only to have all that crap come to basically nothing. Really, your physical body dying is the easy part. Beyond that, your memories must die. And your ego. Your pride and shame and ambition and hope, all that Personal Identity Crap can take centuries to expire.”
tags: dying

Chuck Palahniuk
“You’ve thrown down the gauntlet. You’ve brought my wrath down upon your house. Now, to prove that I exist I must kill you. As the child outlives the father, so must the character bury the author. If you are, in fact, my continuing author, then killing you will end my existence as well. Small loss. Such a life, as your puppet, is not worth living.
But… If I destroy you and your dreck script, and I still exist… then my existence will be glorious, for I will become my own master.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“What makes earth feel like hell is our expectation that it should feel like heaven.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Anyone who's ever flown London to Sydney, seated next to or anywhere in the proximity of a fussy baby, you'll no doubt fall right into the swing of things in Hell. What with the strangers and crowding and seemingly endless hours of waiting for nothing to happen, for you Hell will feel like one long, nostalgic hit a deja vu. Especially if your in-flight movie was The English Patient. In Hell, whenever the demons announce they're going to treat everyone to a big-name Hollywood movie, don't get too excited because it's always The English Patient, or, unfortunately, The Piano. It's never The Breakfast Club.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“I know that when a supersexy older girl with hips and breasts and nice hair wants to take off your glasses and to paint you a smoky eye she's merely trying to enroll you in a beauty contest she's already won. It's a kind of slummy, condescending gesture, like when rich people ask poor people where they summer. To me, this smacks of a blatant, insensitive "let them eat cake" type of chauvinism.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“No one sleeps in Hell except as a possible defensive posture in retaliation during yet another punitive presentation of The English Patient.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“My parents meant well, but the road to Hell is paved with publicity stunts.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“According to Babette, 98.3 percent of lawyers end up in Hell. That's in contrast to the 23 percent of farmers who are eternally damned. Some 45 percent of retail business owners are Hellbound, and 85 percent of computer software writers. Perhaps a trace number of politicians ascend to Heaven, but statistically speaking, 100 percent of them are cast into the fiery pit. As are essentially 100 percent of journalists and redheads.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“In all probability the Human Genome Project will, someday, find that I carry some recessive gene for optimism, because despite all my best efforts I still can't scrape together even a couple days of hopelessness. Future scientists will call it the Pollyanna Syndrome, and if forced to guess, I'd say that mine has been a way-long case history of chasing rainbows.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“If you believe Leondard, this is how Hell breaks people down -- by permitting them to act out to greater and greater extremes, becoming vicious caricatures of themselves, earning fewer and fewer rewards, until they finally realize their folly. Perhaps, I muse over the telephone, that is the one effective lesson which one learns in Hell.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“It's not true that your life flashes before your eyes when you die. At least, not all of it. Some of your life might flash. Other portions of your life it might take you years and years to recall. That, I think, is the function of Hell: It's a place of remembering. Beyond that, the purpose of Hell is not so much to forget the details of our lives as it is to forgive them.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“The truth is, Archer tells me, you stay in Hell until you forgive yourself. "You fucked up. Game over," he says, "so just relax.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“The greatest weapon any warrior can carry into battle is absolute certainty of her eternal soul.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“I might be a touch of a sadist and a little bit jejune... but at least I'm not a victim, not any longer. I hope. I hope, therefore I am.”