Sarah's Reviews > Ascendant

Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi, young-adult, sexuality
Read in January, 2012

I really enjoyed Peterfreund's first Killer Unicorn book so I was looking forward to this title. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one as much. I can't really explain why exactly because when I break it down into its pieces, I don't find anything to complain about. Peterfreund's writing is nothing fancy but it's the right balance of descriptive and economical. Her dialogue is witty and enjoyable. Astrid really develops as a character throughout this one and I like the journey that she sets on. I suppose what I didn't like was the Giovanni situation. Maybe I am being picky about my romance dramas in YA novels lately. I understand its purpose in the novel but I almost feel like Giovanni could have been eliminated from the picture and Astrid could have just had the Brandt situation and the story would have worked just as well. I'm tagging this as sexuality because I actually think, if one wants to read it as such, Peterfreund is making quite a powerful statement about women's sexuality in these two books. I especially liked the bit towards the end, wherein Astrid has an accident. And I really enjoyed the ending, though it makes me curious for another book. I think maybe she could write a million books about killer unicorns and I would keep reading them - I find her attention to the legends fascinating. Enjoyable but not as good as the first for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascendant.