Maia B.'s Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

Jan 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical, nothing-special
Read from January 18 to 20, 2012

Well, it was fine, and entertaining, and written well enough, but...it seemed that the author was trying to make it a character-driven novel, and he did not succeed, which made it a bit clumsy in places. The dazzling leaps of deduction on the part of the main character did not dazzle me per se, because a) they were very, very far-fetched (wearing a father's pocket-watch means you're going to run for another seat in Parliament? what if you just liked the watch better? what if you miss your deceased father and want a remembrance of him? what if your own is being fixed? what if you are just tired of your watch and want a different one?) and b) they were few and far between.

Every so often Lenox, the main character and typical stolid humble detective, looks out the window of his carriage or across the street and delves into this long, rambling, meandering thought process about the buildings of Parliament, and how they were built and when and who sponsored them and isn't this little tidbit of information interesting?, and then he takes a breath and walks on for a few chapters and then he goes into this other panegyric about Queen Victoria and Cleopatra's Needle and some other thing. It's really distracting. It's not even that interesting. Save it for your history of England, Mr. Finch; it sticks out like a sore thumb.

By the end, I was so tired of the random deductions (which the solution to the murder was based on; I mean, there are other explanations which would have fitted just as well to the clues available) and the boring detective and so sleepy that I didn't even bother with the epilogue. Even though I did enjoy reading this - light, clever at times, interesting plot - I don't think I'm going to be reading the second one, if only because I can't stand one more digression on the wonders of London. Especially since not a single one of these digressions happened to have a single thing to do with the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

01/20/2012 page 200