Katrina Passick Lumsden's Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

1964146
Jan 22, 12

Read in January, 2012

Another "on-the-fence" read for me. I didn't really hate any of the characters (even the main ones), so that's promising, and the premise is actually pretty cool. Demigods is at least something slightly different in the YA paranormal arena. There was, however, an awful lot of unnecessary strife and that always grates on me a little bit. As a reader, you're looking at some of the characters and their oversight of obvious facts and going, "Umm...wait a second...". In this case, no one seems capable of basic math.

I'm also growing very tired of the ever-popular sexual tension plot device. Obviously there have to be a few hurdles for our romantic leads to overcome, but with so many of these stories being spanned across three or more books, the constant near-miss scenarios reach unprecedented, almost abusive levels. I guess maybe I'm jaded now. It's tough, though. You get to a point where you can breathe a sigh of relief for the characters and think, "Yes! They're finally going to be able to be toge....oh, never mind. New problem." And you want to scream. Loudly. And then break stuff.

Quick question; why are all paranormal YA heroines shy/awkward/geeky/losers? Why? And why do they always have some outrageously outgoing, kick-ass best friend who either A; furiously stands by them no matter what, or B; abuses the fuck out of them? Hell, sometimes both. Why don't the outgoing, kick-ass people ever get to be the stars?

Admittedly, that was three questions. Don't mind me, I'm just following the writing "rules" perpetuated by 95% of today's YA authors. I think this book may have impeded my ability to think/behave rationally.

Whatever happened to writing a story that wraps up at the end of the book? I miss that. I suppose it's not fair to place that burden solely on Starcrossed, but I think Josephine Angelini deserves at least a little of the blame for putting me through what is actually a pretty long book (in YA terms) that encompasses so many emotional ups and downs. I feel sort of used. Like I was rode hard and put away wet. What's strange is that I feel so used that I have no desire to read the inevitable sequel. I guess the fact of the matter is, this book wore me the hell out. I might need to stay away from paranormal YA for a little while now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Serena I loved this book personally, but I can see why you would think that. But, I am pretty sure that it would probably get better... :/