Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)'s Reviews > The Amulet of Samarkand

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: bought-and-read
Read in January, 2012

I bought this book many years ago when it came out. For one reason or another I lost my copy never finishing it. Now many years later I was offered a chance to read it for review. Two days later here I am. This book was wonderful! It combined the best parts of several other series and twisted them to make it it's own. The main character is Nathaniel a 12 (10 at the start of the book) year old boy whose parents forfeit him to a magicians adoption service in exchange for money. Which as awful as it seems is prob for the best. What kid wants to stay in a home where his value can easily be exchanged just for money. Anyway eventually he is sent to live with the Minister of Internal Affairs Arthur Underwood and his wife Martha. Shortly thereafter Arthur Underwood hosts a party and this is where we are introduced to the villain of the story Simon Lovelace. Unfortunately for Nathaniel he crosses paths with lovelace and incurs his wrath. Following this incident Nathaniel vows to beat Lovelace and to become the best magician he can. Two years pass and Nathaniel now twelve has grown considerably in skill still with his sights on Lovelace. Using a basic spyglass he looks in on Lovelace accepting a package from a shady looking mercenary supposedly containing The Amulet of Samarkand (hence the title). Days later Nathaniel summons a djinni who orders him to steal the amulet from Lovelace and this is where the book really gets going. Your not going to get any spoilers from me though you will have to just read it yourself to see what happens. I personally cannot wait to read the next book in this series. It was a very good read that as stated above took two days to finish. This is a perfect series for young teens and adults alike. Im rating this 4 stars and want to thank the publisher for letting me not only review the book but finish it finally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amulet of Samarkand.