Katie's Reviews > Last Man in Tower

Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga

Jan 20, 12

Read in January, 2012

I loved "White Tiger" by this author and decided I had to read this newer book. I did not like it as much, however, it did contain a lot of the same things I liked about this author's writing style from White Tiger.

I was not totally drawn into this book's plot as much as I was hoping. I thought it was a bit too long and just not quite gripping enough. I found the ending to not be completely convincing, in terms of these peoples' moral failings. So that was an issue--I definitely did not find it to be a page-turner.

However, Adiga is such a unique writer that I could overlook a lot of my little disappointments in the book. He is unique in his darkly humorous, cynical, and very Indian voice. I have never encountered a writer quite like him. First of all, you really feel like you are in Bombay/Mumbai. He describes the place and its people so well, you really feel like you are there. And for someone who is kind of enamored of India, like me, this was a real treat. I found the descriptions of places, people, food, culture, etc., so interesting throughout the book. And, I find Adiga's cynical humor very appealing. Who else writes about India quite like him? I have a feeling I'll also be seeking out his future novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man in Tower.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tejasvi Parupudi Yes, I felt that the ending could have been more life-affirming and as an author, you have the option of saving a character from murder- you could have saved the teacher Mr Adiga- like J K Rowling- who saved Harry!