Katie's Reviews > Last Man in Tower

Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga

Jan 20, 12

Read in January, 2012

I loved "White Tiger" by this author and decided I had to read this newer book. I did not like it as much, however, it did contain a lot of the same things I liked about this author's writing style from White Tiger.

I was not totally drawn into this book's plot as much as I was hoping. I thought it was a bit too long and just not quite gripping enough. I found the ending to not be completely convincing, in terms of these peoples' moral failings. So that was an issue--I definitely did not find it to be a page-turner.

However, Adiga is such a unique writer that I could overlook a lot of my little disappointments in the book. He is unique in his darkly humorous, cynical, and very Indian voice. I have never encountered a writer quite like him. First of all, you really feel like you are in Bombay/Mumbai. He describes the place and its people so well, you really feel like you are there. And for someone who is kind of enamored of India, like me, this was a real treat. I found the descriptions of places, people, food, culture, etc., so interesting throughout the book. And, I find Adiga's cynical humor very appealing. Who else writes about India quite like him? I have a feeling I'll also be seeking out his future novels.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man in Tower.

Tejasvi Parupudi Yes, I felt that the ending could have been more life-affirming and as an author, you have the option of saving a character from murder- you could have saved the teacher Mr Adiga- like J K Rowling- who saved Harry!

Taryn India is an incredibly corrupt society. That ending was really upsetting, but unfortunately it spoke waves of truth as well - I lived in India for a year, and I was constantly shocked by what went on, as much as I also loved the country. While the ending is harsh, it is the sort of wake up call middle class Indians need to start fighting back against the corruption they are constantly surrounded by