Ken's Reviews > The Time of Our Lives: A conversation about America; Who we are, where we've been, and where we need to go now, to recapture the American dream

The Time of Our Lives by Tom Brokaw

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from January 20 to 24, 2012

I give this the four star treatment because of its readability, appeal of the author, and its importance. It is a telling book that every American who cares about the future of the country should read. This volume is basically a tour de force of the big issues confronting America, its competitiveness in the future, and its legacy of the present.

Beginning with the uncivil nature of today's national discourse and moving on to issues such as health care, education, the military complex, and others, Brokaw paints a picture of a troubled country that has lost touch with its roots and many of its values. He compares the values America was founded on and still espouses to how it behaves. Like you and I it is not always a favorable comparison. Like you and I, the nation has the will and capacity to change.

The question is, will we?

While I do not always agree with his position I very much appreciate his perspective, candor, wit, and insight. He is a person who has over the course of the last half century had unusual access to world events and world leaders. Tie that to his Midwestern roots grounded in common sense and his observations take on added import.

In the process of reading this book you will learn more about the man. A nightly visitor in our homes for decades he here illuminates details not previously heard of national life while sharing the personal side of life as well. I must admit I was fascinated when he discussed the diverse nature of his own family. If ever someone was qualified to call themselves a real American, to the extent that phrase implies a true melting pot of society that enables all to find their best, then Brokaw can rightly wear the badge.

The most important contribution of this book? I believe it will cause you to think. You will learn about people who have been moved to action, people of means and people without. You will be inspired and challenged.

Then it is up to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time of Our Lives.