Kat's Reviews > The Goddess Test

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: ya, mythology-retelling, series-graveyard, 2012-read, romance
Read from March 18 to 20, 2012

3 1/2 stars

Mythology and fairy-tale re-tellings are hot property right now in the YA-literary world, and understandably so. There are thousands of inspirations out there, just ripe for conversion, or revision into a new, shiny tale, and The Goddess Test takes Greek mythology and spins it into a modern(ish) tale.

Kate is 18 years old and has a lot on her shoulders - her mother is dying and she is leaving her home in New York to spend some quality time with her mother in the small town of Eden. After making a deal with Henry to keep one of her new 'friends' in the land of the living, she finds herself plunged into a world of myth, intrigue and possibly deadly consequences.

I have to start by saying that Ms. Carter is an excellent writer - the story flows freely and the character dialogue is completely in sync with their characteristics and personalities, ensuring the majority of characters are fully imaginable and believable.

However, there were a few holes in the story - Kate forms friendships incredibly quickly for someone who has spent several years being socially isolated, and is also pretty accepting and easily believes the situations she finds herself in, where the rest of us would be shouting 'you CANNOT be serious' from the rooftops. And Henry? Well I get that he's attractive (although I struggled to understand exactly what made him so supposedly attractive), and obviously as god of the Underworld there's a whole sense of power and control thing, but personality-wise....I really didn't find him that attractive.

The twists in this story aren't really twists, as one of the big ones is actually indirectly revealed in the 'prologue' at the beginning, and some of the others are easily guessable.

BUT I actually did enjoy this book - I liked the references to Greek mythology (if they are accurate or not I've no idea) as a basis to the story, I liked Kate as a character despite her overly-gullible nature, and as I said earlier, the writing is engaging and the 'one more chapter' feeling is definitely present.

I will read the rest of the series (in fact I've already started reading book two) and I'm hoping it will get a little darker as the story delves deeper into the Underworld, and that Kate develops into a more mature, strong character.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

Kristilyn I bought this one late last year ... the cover is gorgeous!