Carla *Jen7waters*'s Reviews > Ironskin

Ironskin by Tina Connolly

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: steampunk, ebook, netgalley, jane-eyre-retelling, 2012-read
Read from September 08 to 21, 2012

Ironskin is a retelling of the classic Jane Eyre mixed with a couple of fantastic elements—mainly fairies and fairy magic—and being a hardcore Jane Eyre and fantasy in general fan I was *extremely* excited to read it; needless to say I did the happy dance when my request on NetGalley for an advance copy of Ironskin was approved. (Many thanks to Macmillan-Tor/Forge!)

The book follows the basic steps of the classic, starting off with the heroine, Jane Eliot, arriving at Mr. Rochart’s house seeking for employment as a governess for his young daughter Dorie. I remained optimistic during the first 100 pages or so, mostly because I was enjoying the worldbuilding, which I think is the strong point of Ironskin, but also because even though I know the original tale by heart, I still managed to get caught up in the mysterious, obscure and sometimes creepy essence of the storyline.

Unfortunately the optimism didn’t last and by page 200 I was bored to death. Why? Well, the heroine’s main concern since the beginning is her charge, Dorie—the girl is different from everyone around her, she’s exceedingly disobedient, she sees things that aren’t there, she has magical powers, she gives the creeps to people around her, and her father can’t keep a governess for too long.
Being Jane different from other people herself, with a scarred face and an iron mask to cover it up, she’s determined to be the governess Dorie needs. This would have been fine, had it not taken hold of almost the entire story, like, the first half of this book is all about Jane trying to get Dorie to use her hands to eat and to pick up things, because she does everything using her powers.

The other half of the book is still about Dorie, plus there are a couple of episodes in which Jane tries to find out what Mr. Rochart does for a living. I kept waiting to fall in love with these characters and to care about their personal tragedies but as the pages flew slowly by I just got more and more bored.
Other thing that bothered me was the lack of solid interaction between Jane and Rochart throughout the story, and yet they still fall in love with each other.

The final twists and events were mildly surprising, but overall I was not happy with the way the story comes together in the end.
There’s also something quite wrong with the beauty concept in this story, as if all beautiful people are possessed by evil beings and in grave need of salvation…

I honestly wanted to love this book but it wasn’t possible.

* * *
Steampunk Challenge 2012 ~ Book 7 of 12

*PT* Cuidado com o Dálmata
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironskin.

09/10/2012 page 33
10.0% 3 comments
09/18/2012 page 213
70.0% "Ok, I'm going to say it, this is one weird book. I'm kind of disappointed." 2 comments
09/21/2012 page 304
100.0% " Photobucket"
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Is this really a retelling of Jane Eyre?

Carla *Jen7waters* Looks like it, Ana! But according to the synopsis it has a lot of other elements going on too. *-*

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana Carla wrote: "Looks like it, Ana! But according to the synopsis it has a lot of other elements going on too. *-*"

Well it's not for me then. The premisse actually looks good (and the cover is lovely) but I haven't read the original so I won't read an adaptation first. :(
I just don't understand this trend to re-use other people's work. What's the point? Where's the imagianion to create new things?

Anyway, I'll wait for you review.

Carla *Jen7waters* You really need to read Jane Eyre! :)

message 5: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise Bummer...this looks really interesting.

Carla *Jen7waters* yeah, it was disappointing :(