Indiana's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: 2009, did-not-keep, historical, mystery, victorian-england
Read in April, 2009

Liked it. This is a first time effort by the author and I think it is a very good start for a writing career. The story is a little bit Sherlock Holmes mixed with some P.J. Wodehouse. You feel like you’ve met these characters before in other stories, but not in a bad way. It was recommended to me on my amazon rec list and I found it pleasant to read. Charles Lenox is one of those gentleman detectives who solves mysteries for his own interest. You get a nice glimpse into Victorian society London. There are lots of visits to the various clubs gentlemen frequented as well as the behind the scenes rooms in the Houses of Parliament. Names of real society people are woven into the background of the various parties. And the food…it seemed Charles was forever eating! And drinking. It took lots of willpower not to hop out of bed while I was reading to grab a snack or two. I’m a bit torn about this book because as pleasant as it was to read, I can’t say I loved it. I’m not even necessarily inclined to order the second book in the series. And I’m probably passing it on to the charity shop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.