Leila's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Jul 11, 07

Recommended for: women, people interested in middle eastern culture
Read in July, 2007

It took me about 4 chapters to get into this book but it was well worth it. The story seems a little slow at first but it's meant to.

There were two things I found remarkable about this book. The first is that the story is told so simply. There is little emphasis placed on the inconceivable atrocities the characters in the book endure. Instead, the emphasis is placed on the characters and their lives. There are times that the readers find themselves enjoying moments with the women in this book, almost forgetting their horrible environment. The reader is drawn into identifying with the characters of the book as they go through day to day chores, and it makes the reality of their circumstances that much more stunning. We are all human and have the same basic desires. It is not about feeling sorry for the main characters in the book because of how their lives are different; it’s about knowing and understanding them through the similarities.

The second thing that struck me about this book is that the book takes place in the 70’s through present day but it is easy to forget given the manor in which the scenes are described. I often found myself shocked when stumbling on a sentence about a cell phone, or blue streaks in somebody’s hair. Save for these types of references, the story could just as well have been turn of the century, or even the industrial revolution. Whether done purposefully or not, it was remarkable the way these subtle signs reminded me that all of this took place during my lifetime.

In summary, this book was an excellent read. Not at all weighed down by the attention this region has received in recent years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Leila, Would you consider changing the spelling of "manor" to "manner" in the line:
"but it is easy to forget given the manor in which the scenes are described" as manner is the correct spelling here? Manor is a big old noble's house. ;-)

Either way I did vote for your review because it's the best one I've read for this book. Great review!