Rachel's Reviews > The Robots of Dawn

The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov

Feb 18, 12

Read from January 20 to February 18, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I'm torn in how I feel about this book. The insanely long monologues about sex and relationships on the different worlds drove me crazy, though such things were of deep interest in the Science Fiction of the time this series was started (think Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land). I had a good idea of what was going to happen as soon as Giskard was introduced (think back to the end of Foundation and Earth. Gladia irritates the life out of me, but not because she's badly written. She is a well-rounded character, and her oddities make sense with her background. I just can't stand her, and she's even more a part of this novel then she was of the previous. While she is central to both novels, she is far more present (or at least she talks [and talks and talks and TALKS about sex] more) in this one.

That said, I enjoyed seeing the precursors to certain things, such as psychohistory, and now I see how it is that the Earthmen settled the universe and created the Empire while the Spacers dwindled and died off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Robots of Dawn.