Jen's Reviews > Maskerade

Maskerade by Terry Pratchett

Feb 07, 12

Read in January, 2012

What a brilliant and loving send-up of opera and Andrew Lloyd Webber. I do love the witches part of Discworld, and this is the book in which we are introduced to Agnes (Perdita X. Dream) Nitt, for whom I have a great deal of affinity in being a person of a lovely personality. I don't have the hair, though. Must work on that.
Pratchett never ceases to amaze me in terms of how many things he can comment on without really seeming to comment on any of them; here he tackles the idiocy of a visually driven talent expectation, the utter silliness of cultural arrogance, the disastrous shortsightedness of stereotypes, and the true nature of cats.
Being a person who loves opera, I was absolutely behind the descriptions he had of the audience, of the actors (yes, all theatre is that neurotic), of the stagehands who just want to work on theatre if only the damn actors would get out of the way, of the management of artistic enterprises. The tongue-in-cheek (and perhaps other places) side story of Nanny Ogg's adventures to write "The Joy of Snacks" was just brilliant and perfectly done. My only complain would be that I felt the ending got a tad short-shrifted; the way the villain was unveiled was brilliant, but a bit flat by the time it actually came around.
Other than that, come on. It's Pratchett. It's Discworld. It's opera. You can't go wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maskerade.