Eastofoz's Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Dec 05, 08

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, futuristic
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Julie (JJ)
Recommended for: Auntee (LOL!), Tammy, Crystal

I have to say when I started this book I thought to myself «why all the fuss?» in terms of romance when it reads more like a general murder/mystery. Well after you manage to patiently wade through the first 175 pages more or less you’ll understand the hype for this 28 (so far!) book series (!) It’s very good once the h/h get together and the romance gets going. I wavered between a 4 and a 4.5 star rating but settled on the 4 because those first 175 pages were tough without the romance ;)

Roarke and Eve are excellent characters living in the far off future. Now don’t let that turn you off because I didn’t think that the futuristic setting drew away from the novel with excessively weird lingo and bizarro situations. You have real people here and a real story that could just as easily be transplanted to a contemporary romantic suspense novel.

I now understand all that panting over Roarke –he is one VERY hot alpha with his Irish lilt and overall sexy persona. The steam isn’t all that frequent (hoping that picks up in the later books) but when it happens it’s quite good even if it’s not that long and detailed. Eve is a tough as nails heroine but her independence and I-don’t-want-to-be-emotionally-involved-with-anyone doesn’t grate on the nerves. She ranks as one of my favourite heroines and there aren’t many to begin with. Roarke is so good for her you’ll just be going **sigh, sigh, sigh** :D

The plot is really twisted and “ew” but Roberts writes well so you keep turning the pages even if you think “is this book for me or not, well let’s read another page” and then it’s the end!. I liked the ending but I really wish I had book 2 on hand to just continue Eve and Roarke’s story --yes it's addictive!

I’ve been putting off this series for a long time because there are so many books in it. MISTAKE! It really is good and there must be something that the author is doing right to have such a legion of romance book fans picking up her stuff and waiting on pins and needles for the next installment of Eve and Roarke.

Looks like I’ve found myself a new series --and no shelf space to put the next, um, 27 books with 2 more coming out in 2009 (!!)
22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

12/01/2008 page 60
19.61% "Good cop story but no romance yet...."
12/01/2008 page 90
29.41% 1 comment
12/03/2008 page 200
65.36% 2 comments

message 1: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee OMG, are you ready to take this series on? :D

Heather Oh this is such a great series! I envy you getting to read it all for the first time! Good luck! ;-)

Stamatia I seriously like this series. Happy reading!

Eastofoz Auntee it's on TBR for now and I'm going to wait a little before reading it. Fingers crossed that I won't like it (lol!) because of the 3000 books in the series that I'll no doubt have to buy all at once and go on a reading frenzy if I end up liking it :p I have to see what all the hype is about this :D

Julie (jjmachshev) This is another series I absolutely devoured when I started it. Now I have to wait for the new hardbacks to the tune of 1-2 a year!!
J

Blackbook Your fears are totally grounded about going into a reading frenzy! They are really great reads and totally addictive. Enjoy. Give in. It's Summer.

message 7: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee OMG, you're doing it! Looks like you almost did it way back in July.

Part of me hopes that you hate it--then I'll have an excuse not to start it yet! lol!

I'm committed to this sexfest I'm reading right now...maybe when I'm done I'll see how you're liking it. I have at least the first three all ready to go in the TBR.:)

27 books is a lot to cover...

Eastofoz I'll keep ya posted --pray that it's bad alright (lol!) ;)

Nikki ♥ Do these have to be read in order?

Eastofoz It's a 27 (I think) book series Nikki and most people have been telling me to read them in order.

Nikki ♥ Ugh, I have a couple of books in the series in my tbr pile, of course I don't have the 1st one :) I guess I'll start collecting, I've seen a bunch at the used book store near me.

Crystal East, I can't wait to see what you think of this one. I've been wanting to read the series for years and I even started to read the first book, but I couldn't get past the first few chapters because of the futuristicness (if that's not a word, it should be. lol) I've heard so many amazing things about Roarke though that I've been meaning to go back and try the series again for years.

Eastofoz I'm not quite finished yet Crystal but after the first 175 pages (I know that's long!) the romance finally starts which makes the whole story way better. For a while I kept thinking "why all the hype about this series???" and I think I know why ;)

Tammy I have collected a few books in this series but haven't started it yet. Can't wait to read what you think East! Our tastes are so similar ...

Crystal Ok, so if I can just get through the first 175 pages I'll be home free. Good to know. I'll have to search for this one in my collection so that I can start it again.

Eastofoz Tammy go for it. I think you'll like it :) Build more shelves before you start (lol!)

Crystal give it another shot and perserve. There's no way you can't not like it :) I was ready to give up more than once but thankfully I didn't :D I hope Santa is good to me this year --27 more books is just a tad too much for the credit card all at once (lol!)

message 17: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Oh drat! Looks like I'll be buying MORE books!:)

I just checked the TBR pile and I've managed to collect 7 of them...I guess I have no excuses left...

Nikki ♥ Oh great, another series to start ;) I guess I'll start slowly collecting them, I think I have 2. I read one of the stories in an anthology.

Teryl Crystal - after a while you don't even notice the future stuff, it just becomes normal for the In Death world.

I am another one of those that recommends you read them in order. The story progression is not in the police work, but in the character relationships. Not just between Eve and Roarke, but all the secondaries too.

message 20: by jenjn79 (new) - added it

jenjn79 I really have to start reading this series at some point...I have almost all the books, I'm missing 2 early one, and the 2 most recent...but I can't seem to get motivated to start reading them, LOL.

Eastofoz Isis motivation was a problem for me too --forget the motivation this time and just read away, you won't be sorry :D

Julie (jjmachshev) MWAH HAH HAH...now you will become as addicted as the rest of us. I read the blurb of the first one and pretty much thought, "Nah". Ignored them for several years. Then picked the first one up at a used book store, read it cover to cover that night...then went to a book store and bought the rest of the series the next day. So now I languish in wait for each new hardcover ***teeth grinding here***, run out and get it the day it's released, and have it read for the first time by bedtime. **SIGH**
JJ

Eastofoz LOL Julie! You're evil laughing at all this (lol!!!)Dammit this latest "addiction" is going to cost me a pretty penny --and never mind the wait when I get through them :-o

message 24: by jenjn79 (new) - added it

jenjn79 I've been picking them up used as I can...mostly to completely my NR collection. I was just never sure I'd actually like the books. I'm not big on futuristic, and I'm a romance junkie. I've been wary about how romantic this series can be when it's Eve/Roarke throughout all the books.

Kathrynn I've been eyeballing this series, but it's been too daunting to take on when I have so many to read already. One day...

Miss Kim I don't like the Robb series as much as Roberts. They are much lighter on the 'romance'. I've only got thru the first six. You definatly have to read them in order, for sure. I'll probably pick them back up sometime.

Eastofoz Kathrynn I said the same thing but I'm glad I gave it a shot and didn't let this one get away. I think if you like good romantic suspense then this could be the next series for you.

message 28: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great review my Friend...maybe I need to add this series into my TBR mountain:)

Crystal Ok, I have the first 3 now. I'll start this series as soon as I get through a few that are on the top of my TBR pile. Can't wait!

Eastofoz Thanks Daisie -- you haven't read this one yet? Give it a whirl, don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Crystal, I envy you! You have the first three!!! Can't wait to get mine :D

Stamatia Glad you liked it East. The series is just gritty enough to satisfy my tastes and yes Roarke is one of a kind.

Eastofoz Stamatia I'm in the process of getting the 27 others in the series 8)