Adam Shields's Reviews > Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture

Foolishness to the Greeks by Lesslie Newbigin

Jan 23, 12

Read from January 20 to 21, 2012

Short review: I think the first part is really good. I really wanted him to talk more about cultural issues of transmission of the gospel. But he seemed to be a bit convoluted toward the end of the book. This is somewhat dated with references to Christianity in public schools and issues with communism. I want to read more by Newbigin to see if he is clearer in other places.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/foolishness/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foolishness to the Greeks.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

John Chandler now we're talking!

Adam Shields I feel like I know this book because it has been referenced so much. But I don't think I have actually read anything by Newbigin before. (Not a full length book anyway.) About 20% in so far. Hard for me to believe that this is not required reading in any of my college or seminary classes. So much of the problems we have about scripture interpretation and theology are from a lack of understanding about what culture really is.

John Chandler The Open Secret and The Gospel in a Pluralist Society are my too favorites by Newbigin. Both should be required reading in seminary.