Ann's Reviews > Encrypted

Encrypted by Lindsay Buroker

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, steampunk, favorites, military
Read in February, 2011

Encrypted - which I read (almost) in one go, interrupted only by work and very little sleep - is a delightful story that reminds me strongly of two very beloved books: McMaster Bujold's Shards of Honor (the first issue of her famous Barrayar series) and the more recent steampunk magic novel Havemercy by Jones and Bennett. However, Encrypted manages to avoid the issues found in both books, making it a truly enjoyable read with complex plot, believable (and captivatingly flawed) characters, a truly unique setting and storytelling that matches the fast pace of the events to a proverbial T.
It is difficult to sum up its content without spoilers, so I decided just to give a list of tags I use to describe it: science fantasy, military scifi, romance, naval steampunk, cryptographics.
Encrypted is one of the few novels that uses science not only in terms of useless gibberish or as backdrop for the hero(ine)s romantic interest, but as a truly thought-out plot device, despite all brilliance of the scientists involved and the science fictional / fantasy elements used in a believable fashion.
As of now, I mourn the death of one character, wish for more on the two main characters, and look forward to what happened to another character, who appears grown-up in the author's next novel The Emperor's Edge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encrypted.