Simon B's Reviews > The Magus of Java: Teachings of an Authentic Taoist Immortal

The Magus of Java by Kosta Danaos

Jul 06, 08

bookshelves: x, martial-arts
Read in June, 2008

Although this book is "non-fiction" and repeatedly says again "I and thousands of other people can testify to.." it can be hard to honestly take for face value but the author preemptively knew this (might just be common sense though) and adds in his moments of personal disbelief in witnessing the world of "Taoist" magic through John Chang's abilities and teachings. The real name of the magician is not given because of enormous backlash it carry over to his own doorstep in Java.

It seems as though Kosta Danos Has established himself as a "secretary" of sorts to the Mo-Tzu school of Nei Kung with John Chang as the slightly-hidden, careful CEO to the tradition.

Reading this book I found myself staring at what I imagined a real and ideal magician to be like: powerful, concerned, stern (on a more slight side of the scale), cold-cut, hospitable, and successful. Usually with the area of "new-age" this-and-thats success is something that doesn't seem to go hand in hand with this "kooky" view of the universe, the world, the human and the spirits who each reside in a certain respective sense of the listing. Merely addressing the phenomenal and supernatural through the science and art of chi, a person reading this has to leave behind the modern world of imperialistic science, such as the author did (a ex-General Dynamics electrical engineer), and face a world that existed before alchemists, organized religion and politics became too much for the typical naturalist that has now become extinct.

Are you a bad enough dude to handle seeing and talking with angry dead people?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magus of Java.