Pauline's Reviews > The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Oct 22, 08

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction, memoir, read-2008, reviews
Read in October, 2008

Randy Pausch lived his life the way he wanted to and trusted himself that his decisions were correct. "The Last Lecture" gives us a look into his life and how he thought he could find joy and satisfaction in life even though faced with death. In his soul searching about life and about leaving a legacy for his three children he decided to give a last lecture to a live audience and then he expanded the last lecture and turned it into a book.

The book does make you look at your life and ponder about living life to its fullest and it makes you think about the priorities in your own existence. Randy Pausch was obviously an highly intelligent person who had great parents and later found a great wife and had three great children, but then he got cancer. His whole life was centered in the academic world of teaching and always learning and he thrived on it.

I applaud his life and his dedication to sharing with others what he learned about life and what he thought was the correct way to live life, but I found myself thinking numerous times that he seemed arrogant and that the general theme of the book was that you could get anything in life if you really wanted it. I guess that is the irony in the book, Randy always got what he wanted in life, but in the end all he wanted was more life, but being mortal like all of us he could not get what he wanted.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.