Nikki Boisture's Reviews > The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story

The Dreyfus Affair by Peter Lefcourt

Jan 20, 12

Read in January, 2012

I think paperbackswap.com thinks I'm a gay baseball player, which is a side-effect of having a strong proclivity for Steve Kluger books. It makes no difference to me if it means they will be recommending books like this for me.

Randy Dreyfus, a star shortstop for the fictional LA Valley Vikings, is a married father of two, who finds himself in the awkward position of falling in love with his second baseman. He fights it at first, but gives in to the feeling and he and DJ Pickett start a secret love affair. Until it becomes not so secret, thanks to a little stupidity on their part coupled by a lot of homophobia on the part of a Neiman-Marcus security guard.

What follows is a quickie cover-up job by MLB, the Vikings organization, and to a certain extent the media. But when security footage of Randy and DJ emerges, just as the Vikings are headed to the World Series, there is a call by a lot of powerful people to invoke the same clause banning the two lovebirds from the game for life. That is exactly what happens until one brave sports journalist writes a beautiful opinion piece (modeled after J'cusse in the real life Dreyfuss Affair) that turns the tide of public opinion.

The book starts a little slow, and the explanations of what Randy sees in DJ (and vice versa) aren't explained that well. But once Randy and DJ are caught, the book picks up to the point I couldn't put it down without finding out what happened.

This book was published twenty years ago, years before Billy Beane became the first MLB player (and he was already out of the game) came out of the closet. There is no doubt in my mind there are plenty of active gay players, but I think we are still equally far from seeing an active player come out. In the meantime, if I want some good old baseball slash, I can always reread The Dreyfus Affair. (Or Billy Bean's autobiography, whichever.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dreyfus Affair.