Laura's Reviews > A Field Guide to Getting Lost

A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit

Jan 19, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, wandering-psychogeography-place
Read in January, 2012

This sure wasn't what I expected, based on the title. I thought the book would be full of big thinks and big wanders, all based on the idea of getting lost--in terms of actual space and place, like in the wilderness or an unfamiliar city, whether by accident or with purpose--and moving through the world in a literal sense.

Instead, Solnit touches on the many many meanings of getting lost--emotional, psychic, physical, misplaced items, lost species, death, love--by interweaving a seemingly random array of stories, quotes, ideas, personal memories, historical and cultural references, observations of nature, and more into these deeply moving, packed essays. I wrote down so many page numbers of long quotes I want to copy down, and am now convinced I need to read her other books (at least the ones on Edweard Muybridge and walking), as well as some 19th-century captivity narratives. She has the most literary and history-riddled train of thought that I've ever read. The book rambles and wanders into the most delightful places.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Field Guide to Getting Lost.

Quotes Laura Liked

Rebecca Solnit
“The blue of distance comes with time, with the discovery of melancholy, of loss, the texture of longing, of the complexity of the terrain we traverse, and with the years of travel.”
Rebecca Solnit, A Field Guide to Getting Lost