Laura's Reviews > A Field Guide to Getting Lost

A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: fiction, wandering-psychogeography-place
Read in January, 2012

This sure wasn't what I expected, based on the title. I thought the book would be full of big thinks and big wanders, all based on the idea of getting lost--in terms of actual space and place, like in the wilderness or an unfamiliar city, whether by accident or with purpose--and moving through the world in a literal sense.

Instead, Solnit touches on the many many meanings of getting lost--emotional, psychic, physical, misplaced items, lost species, death, love--by interweaving a seemingly random array of stories, quotes, ideas, personal memories, historical and cultural references, observations of nature, and more into these deeply moving, packed essays. I wrote down so many page numbers of long quotes I want to copy down, and am now convinced I need to read her other books (at least the ones on Edweard Muybridge and walking), as well as some 19th-century captivity narratives. She has the most literary and history-riddled train of thought that I've ever read. The book rambles and wanders into the most delightful places.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Field Guide to Getting Lost.