Richard's Reviews > Inkheart

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Jul 06, 08

A young adult novel, published in Germany and translated to English. River Kikkert recommended this book. A man discovers he has the ability to make people become real when he reads about them aloud from a book. Some villains from another time are brought into this world and they cause great problems .Takes place in modern day Italy in the country side. All the characters are described and given personalities in the book. It would be along the lines of the Lord of the Rings series in terms of tenseness and conflict with villains. A 12 year old girl is one of the lead characters. Very complex story, not a cutsie children’s book; best read by a late teenager. Lots of tense times I “read” the book on audio cassette, unabridged, read by Lynn Redgrave. She does an excellent job in the reading, bringing life to the characters. I would recommend the book and the audio cassettes because of the author’s and Redgrave’s ability to transport me to the scene of action. At one tense moment I actually thought I was watching a movie of the action rather than listening to someone read to me out of a book. The writing and reading were so vivid I finally realize that it was words that were creating the movie in my mind. That is the sign of good author and good reading.

Following are some quotes from the book; taken out of context they seem to be gentle encouragements to read but they were actually at some very tense moments of the book: Again, this is a very tense book.

And one night, when she couldn’t get to sleep, she sat down at the desk in front of her window and began to write while the fairies played in Eleanor’s garden and the trolls rustled in the bushes. For Meggie had a plan. She wanted to learn to make up stories like Finolio. She wanted to learn to fish for words so that she could read aloud to her mother without worrying about who might come out of the stories and look at her with homesick eyes. So Meggie decided words would be her trade. And where better could she learn that trade than in a house full of magical creatures, where fairies built their nests in the garden, and books were put on the shelves by night. As Mo had said, writing stories is a kind of magic, too.
Cornelia Funke from Inkheart

Is there anything in the world better than words on a page. Magic signs. The voices of the dead. Building blocks to make wonderful worlds better than this one. Comforters, companions in loneliness. Keepers of secrets. Speakers of the truth. All those glorious words. Taste every word, . . . savor it on your tongue. Do you taste the colors? Do you taste the wind in the night? The fear and the joy and the love. Taste them and everything will come to life.
Cornelia Funke Extracted and slightly paraphrased from Inkheart

Meggie stroked its binding as she always did before she opened a book. She had seen Mo doing the same. Every since she could remember she had known that movement, the way he would pick up a book, stroke the binding, almost tenderly, then open it as if he were opening a box full to the brim with precious things. Cornelia Funke from Inkheart

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.

Libby Wellman Good review. Although I think some younger people can grasp it too.