Sandy's Reviews > Neuromancer

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Aug 14, 08

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in August, 2008

I'm only giving this 2 stars because Gibson was one of the first cyberpunk writers (you get some points for going where noone has gone before) and because it almost had a plot in the middle of it. There was a lot of unrealized potential here.

There's merit to a writing style with stark changes that take you a minute to figure out. Le Guin uses this to good effect in The Dispossessed to reinforce her "time is not linear" theme. But not every 5 pages for the whole novel. That annoyed the crap out of me (please, Sandy, tell us how you truly feel!).

And the characters could have been interesting but they just weren't developed enough. If you can't be bothered to develop them, I can't be bothered to care.

I loved the X-files episodes Gibson co-wrote and I was expecting so much more from this. Maybe it's because I'm reading this 20 years later, after the Matrix, X-files and BSG (Reimagined), but fancy computer imagery doesn't replace a good old-fashioned analog plot. And this read more like a screenplay (badly) turned into a novel that assumes you've seen the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neuromancer.