Kristen's Reviews > The Nine Lives of Chloe King

The Nine Lives of Chloe King by Celia Thomson

May 10, 2012

liked it
Read from January 19 to May 09, 2012

I ordered this book at the beginning of the 2011/2012 school year, and had put it down for good sometime around Thanksgiving break. I had gotten through the first two books and I just couldn't bring myself to finish the trilogy. Now that I'm out of school and had finished various other books, I decided it was time to pick it up again--and finish it this time. I plugged through and around the last four chapters it started to get interesting again and I couldn't put it down. I would say that's the only bad thing about this trilogy: Maybe 2/3 of the time I was really interested in what was happening and the other 1/3 I couldn't have cared less.

Nice twist on the commonday sort of teens-with-super-powers sorry. It had more adult themes that most tween books don't really touch on (relatively graphic material, swearing, drinking, smoking) which helped to spice things up. Personally, I think the ending was a bit overdramatic and didn't really settle well with me because [SEMI-SPOILER] I don't think The Order of the Tenth Blade would really agree to a truce that easily. Considering that Chloe is sixteen and really doesn't have any experience with diplomatic communication, it didn't really seem to fit.

3/5 stars, but I probably would recommend it to others given that they had read similar books in the past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nine Lives of Chloe King.

05/09/2012 page 683