James's Reviews > Superman: Secret Origin

Superman by Geoff Johns

Jan 19, 12

I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised to discover how much I enjoyed this story. I'd read a couple of Geoff Johns's earlier Superman stories, and they were all right (and also drawn by Gary Frank), but this is really a notch above.

If you're even remotely interested in reading this collection, you must then surely already know Superman's origin story by now. It's timeless, classic, and all that garbage. Also, it's even been done remarkably well in recent memory not only by Jeph Loeb (back when he could write--sorry) and Tim Sale in Superman For All Seasons (a personal favorite of mine), but also by J. Michael Straczynski in his recent remaking of the Superman mythos.

So this brings interesting takes and clever perspectives to the table, which would be a basic requirement, really, but adds new little fun twists, like the origins of Metallo and the Parasite.

Don't get me wrong: this isn't as good as Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All Star Superman, but it's still a quality entertainment well worth reading, especially if you're interested in Superman. Which, I hate to admit, I kind of am.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Parks What about Mark Waid's Birthright? I found that to be a better story over all than Secret Origin in that it wasn't as Silver Age/Golden Age. It gave us the Man over the Super -- John's interpretation of the Man of the Steel works more on the super than the man.

James Guess I'll have to go find that now! Thanks, Bob. It's hard for me to keep track of these things now that I've been out of the scene for so long.