Katie Stout's Reviews > Evernight

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: from-publisher-for-review, vamps, signed, paranormal-contemp
Read from July 30 to 31, 2012

Similar Books: My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey, Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, Marked by P.C. Cast

I'm going through a rather odd time in my reading life right now, in which I've decided that I basically refuse to read any books I don't know I'll enjoy. I mean, sure, I'll take a chance sometimes; but that blurb is going to have to totally rock my world for me to pick up a book by an author I don't know.

Because of this, I've recently been drawn to a lot of books by authors I know I like or books published by my favorite imprints (hello, anything published by Harper Collins!) or, in the case of Evernight, both.

I got to meet Claudia Gray in the winter of this year, and she was basically made of awesome. In preparation for the signing, I read an ARC of Balthazar which I really enjoyed (my review which can be read here), so I was really excited to read the finished copy of Evernight that Harper sent me.

First, let me say one thing: I'm not a huge vampire fan. They're just sort of meh for me. Yeah, I enjoyed Twilight (that book is like crack!), and I'm dying to read Vampire Academy (because of all the hype), so basically vampires don't float my boat. But Claudia Gray somehow manages to make them compelling when she's writing in a genre and in a way that is so full of tropes and cliches at this point that I can't believe I can get past page 50.

There are a LOT of things about this book that have become cliche in YA since Evernight's publication:

1. Vampires
2. Insta-love
3. Vampire insta-love
4. Forbidden vampire insta-love
5. Forbidden vampire insta-love in which only one of the characters is super special

And yet, there's something really fresh about Evernight that stands out among the others, I think. I can't really put my finger on it; maybe it's just that I enjoy Claudia Gray's writing style.

I also loved, loved, LOVED that Bianca is an unreliable narrator. I don't want to spoil anything, but the turning point in which she's finally honest to the reader - umm...wow! That's something really difficult to find in YA, and I can honestly only think of a few: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, Liar by Justine Larbalestier, and this one. This was very cool!

I'm also 100% in love with Balthazar. No, seriously. Every time I saw his name on the page, I would get all giggly and be like...

And I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that I read his book first so I know what happens to him.

At the signing, Claudia Gray said that Lucas was Bianca's man, but Balthazar was hers (as in Claudia's). I think I might have to fight her for him, but we'll see. :)

All in all, this is an enjoyable book. Not earth-shattering or groundbreaking, but it's definitely worth a read, especially if you're into vampires, unreliable narrators, or a sexy secondary character who will steal your heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evernight.

07/30/2012 page 80
24.0% "Trying to read all these older books that have been sitting on my shelves for FOREVER."
07/30/2012 page 142
43.0% "Oh, man. Unreliable narrator. TOTALLY not what I was expecting. LOVE IT!"
show 1 hidden update…