UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Time Out

Time Out by Jill Shalvis

It’s official! Jill Shalvis can write nothing wrong.

Well, official as far as I’m concerned, anyway.

Coach Mark Diego is in the midst of a public relations nightmare when two of his NHL Mammoths team members are involved, on camera, in a brawl against two rival Anaheim Ducks team members. As penance, and hoping to show the teams in a better light, Mark and the other coach agree that the guilty parties will be required to spend their off season providing community service to areas in need. Mark chooses his burned out hometown of Santa Rey, California, where during the day his players will help construction crews rebuild homes devastated by wildfires, and they’ll spend their evenings and weekends coaching the community’s recreation center youth baseball team. And of course, just as he had expected, given the choice between community service or suspension, the Mammoths team members are on board the plan, too. But what he didn’t expect was his powerful attraction to the recreation center’s coordinator, Rainey Saunders.

Once upon a time, during her jailbait years, Rainey Saunders had a major crush on Mark Diego, her brother’s best friend. She crushed so hard, in fact, that in her attempt to get him to notice her as more than just a kid, she not only embarrassed herself, but in the end, ruined her’s and Mark’s friendship. It wasn’t that Mark was being a jerk, not at all - he was trying to avoid being a felon, and even though her mind knows it, her heart can’t get on board with it at all. She would have thought that the years and time apart would have lessened her humiliation, but when Mark shows up to do the volunteer work, and he’s reporting to her, the only thing more embarrassing than what happened all those years ago is how badly she still wants him, now.

Time Out is everything I’ve come to expect from Jill Shalvis, and then some! Romantic, funny, heartwarming, poignant… and holy hell!!! She more than provided the “blaze” in this Harlequin Blaze novel!

I fell, absolutely, unequivocally, madly, passionately in love with Mark Diego, not in spite of his flaws but because of them. He’s an amazing, honorable, sexy man and one of my favorite heroes, ever! Rainey Saunders is a strong, passionate, savvy force to be reckoned with, the perfect woman to have by his side. Apart they are wonderful, together they are amazing!

The bottom line – I seem to say this a lot about stories by Jill Shalvis, but here goes again; Buy this book. Stop thinking about it and just do it. You won’t regret it.

My thanks to netgalley.com and Harlequin Blaze for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
41 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Out.

01/19/2012
20.0% "Loving this book!!!" 15 comments
01/20/2012
100.0% 6 comments
11/12/2013 marked as: own-have-read

Sara  ~Sphunky~ I've had this one on my TBR for a while (I LOVE Shalvis too). After reading your review, it will have to be read sooner versus later. Sounds great!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Sara! I sure did love this book. And it's the hottest Harlequin Blaze I've read.

message 3: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I've added this one to my TBR list. I love a good Blaze story. Great review, Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Kristen!! I was so, so sad when it ended. I'd LOVE there to be a followup story for the team mates who had gotten in trouble. I'd LOVE that.

message 5: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Thank you, Kristen!! I was so, so sad when it ended. I'd LOVE there to be a followup story for the team mates who had gotten in trouble. I'd LOVE that."

You should mention something to the author. If she knows people would love more, maybe she'll give the other team members their story. You never know.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review, Dhes! It's on the 'Mountain'! :))

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Kristen, I might do that. She posted on my blog this morning thanking me for the review. Maybe she'd be open to the suggestion.

By the way... how do they find out about our reviews? Does netgalley notify them? I don't think she's following me on Twitter...

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Baba! It's so, so good. I hope you'll read it. It's a Blaze, so it's a little shorter, but I loved it!

MsRomanticReads Great review! You've made me want to read it. So far I've only read one of her books, then I got sidetracked :) Thanks for this little reminder to look her up again.

message 10: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Kristen, I might do that. She posted on my blog this morning thanking me for the review. Maybe she'd be open to the suggestion.

By the way... how do they find out about our reviews? Does netgalley..."

I've wondered the same thing. Maybe she checks her reviews here on GR every day to see what reviews have been written. Maybe Authors can get an alert if someone posts a review on one of their book. I'm not sure. Good question.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Michelle! You can usually grab the paperbacks from WalMart and Target for about $3.50... but wow... I fell hard for Mark. *sigh*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish But she didn't comment here, she commented on my blog. If she had commented here then I'd understand...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "But she didn't comment here, she commented on my blog. If she had commented here then I'd understand...

I guess this is just one of those "things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!""

Sorry to butt in, Dhes. I think there are many authors who don't like to post comments here on our threads. They don't hit the like button either. Maybe that's why she did it via your blog?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're not butting in, Baba! You might be right about that... and I do have the link to my blog in my profile now.

She re-tweeted it on Twitter, too, come to think of it, so I know she saw it there.

I read somewhere that sometimes netgalley forwards reviews to the authors, but I can't remember the criteria for them doing so. Oh well.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "You're not butting in, Baba! You might be right about that... and I do have the link to my blog in my profile now.

She re-tweeted it on Twitter, too, come to think of it, so I know she saw it ther..."

LOL Dhes! Maybe the review just has to be wonderful and then they'll be forwarding it to the author. ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish LOL! That rules me out, then! LOL!

It's good to 'see' you, by the way. It seems like it's been forever.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "LOL! That rules me out, then! LOL!

It's good to 'see' you, by the way. It seems like it's been forever."

It seems like it's been forever.
LOL Really? I didn't think so, though. :))

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wonderful review, Dhes! You know I love Jill Shalvis, too!

MsRomanticReads Sweet! I need a reason to hop over to Target :) Seeing a new review from you always puts a smile on my face and a dent in my wallet :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Michelle wrote: "Sweet! I need a reason to hop over to Target :) Seeing a new review from you always puts a smile on my face and a dent in my wallet :)"

Well aren't you the sweetest person ever???

(sorry about the wallet, though)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Wonderful review, Dhes! You know I love Jill Shalvis, too!"

Yep!!! Time Out was a netgalley read that I needed to 'get out of the way' but in fact was saving for when I needed something guaranteed to put a smile on my face in a shorter page count. I've got my NEW 4 Jill Shalvis books, (thank you very much *hugs*)sitting on my bedside table, ready to go!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Baba wrote: "LOL Really? I didn't think so, though. :)) "

Oh well, it seemed like we had been chatting in reviews almost daily for awhile, but it's but a few days. What can I say? :)

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill Wonderful review Dhes. This one's already on The Mountain but with this line <> it's going to be moved up sooner!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Jill!

And, Yay! I hope you love Mark as much as I do!!

message 25: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Oh no Hockey and Blaze This is definetly going on the pile. Thanks Dhes, great review

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Buggy! I hope you love it, too!

Melanie Great review Dhestiny! I used to really like the Blaze books - they were great escape reading... quick, fun, flirty, a little bit silly and hot. Then I think I OD'd on them and I haven't been too interested in picking one up in a while. BUT this little number's definitely renewed my interest! On the "to-read" pile it goes! :D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Melanie. Jill Shalvis is just such a great author she can make anything work, and this story definitely did. I hope you enjoy it!

message 29: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK Well, you've pushed me over the edge, too! Great review and just the little extra shove I needed to add this one to my next amazon purchase.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Anne! I really enjoyed this book and I hope you do, too.

message 31: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Just finished this book Dhes after getting is for like 3 bucks and some change for my kindle! I ahve to admitt this was my first JIll Shalvis read, but when I saw hockey mentioned I and to have it and I must say I am in love with mark Diego! This is one the best contemporary's I've read!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This really is a great story, Heidi! Great romance, great side stories, great characters, great chemistry, great sex :)

Lisa Kay Great review, Dhes. Ohhhhh...this one is on audible. **Don't click that button Lisa Kay, you only have 5 credits left.**

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Lisa Kay! I'm not familiar enough with audio books to say whether or not you should go for it, but if I still have the paperback, I'd be happy to send it to you!

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda great review :D