Kaixuan's Reviews > A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Mar 11, 12

I am only on Chapter 3, but I am enjoying the book alot. I didn't expect the book to be in the voice of Watson, because i thought Sherlock Holmes would have been the main focus of the book. I like the language that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle uses, they are a little tough to understand, but it makes the book seem more worthwhile to read.

I found it exciting when the author first mentions that the character (it is written in first person, which makes it easier to follow, since the focus is mainly on one character) is actually Watson. I have heard alot about this book, and the series; it is really famous. It's kind of 'cool' to read it from the original author, and how the original stories are.

The most exciting part was when Sherlock Holmes was first introduced into the book; and I (as the reader) finally understood how Holmes and Watson met. Despite this, I still think that the way they met was a little... lame. I thought they would have been partners since kids, or they might have met when in a battle. I was surprised when i found out that they met because they shared dormitories.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book so far, and I would love to continue reading it. I have already planned to read the other books about Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, The Valley of Fear, and His Last Bow. I might also be interested enough to read a new series I've heard about, 'Young Sherlock Holmes'. I hope I enjoy reading those too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ayushi Bhatnagar Good review, but you could expanded on the things you would like to see or improve in the book.

Matthieu Manzoni Kaixuan i really agree, so i think that it is a good review.

message 3: by Arianne (new) - added it

Arianne Gor Very good review; I agree 100% with your preference of reading a book that is written in first character. I also had the same question as you; I would have thought that Sherlock Holmes would be narrated by himself, instead of Watson. It is a very original approach. Good review; I agree with many points that you have stated.

message 4: by Nadja (new)

Nadja This is a good review, I read the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. So in a way, it is different but the same kind of theme that is put into the story. I only knew that Watson and Sherlock were in an apartment together until Watson moved out so it was interesting to here that they were in dormitories. I also enjoyed the book and I agree with you.

message 5: by Joyita (new)

Joyita Roy I just started this novel and I agree with your thoughts Kai except that I like how Sherlock Holmes and Watson met. Many of the books and movies I've read/seen, start friendships off with situations like this where they lodge/room together. I also like how Watson's friends Stamford (the man who told Watson about how Sherlock wants someone to lodge with him) finds Sherlock to be a rather strange person who is too logical and scientific. When Sherlock is first introduced he's finding out a way to test blood stains and he seems to be quite interested in crimes and the way they are solved. Now I know why Christopher from 'The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time" was so fascinated by him and his ways.This is like a start of all the mysteries both of them have to solve. I also find it quite interesting that the narrator of this novel is Watson and not sherlock Holmes himself.

message 6: by Joyita (new)

Joyita Roy I want to continue reading and find out what happens next. As for the language, I actually find it easier to understand compared to 'Pride and Prejudice'