Ruth's Reviews > It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff

It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh

Feb 15, 12

Read from January 19 to February 15, 2012

My parents always had books in the house. We had fiction and non-fiction which matched the things they were interested in. They had four children and ALL of us like to read. Yes, even though boys notoriously are often not readers, both of my brothers are avid readers. This is another of the books that my brother, Gordon recommended to my sister, Barb and I. How well does he know us, huh?! It was definately a winner. Now all I have to do is put it into practice.

Barb and I started reading this book aloud, together since she had already purchased it. We reached page 22 and took the "clutter quiz". Scary! We didn't come out as "hard core hoarders" but we were the highest you could get in the "clutter victim" category without spilling over.
The book was written clearly and simply and really did help you to think about reasons for why you keep things. It also emphasized that if you are keeping something because it has a high sentimental value to you than it should be showcased as an item of value and on display rather than jammed away in a closet somewhere.

I have already started weeding some things out. Just the other day I went through one of my cupboards and got it organized and outdated things hit the garbage can. Ahh, I feel lighter already. Not really, I have so far to go it isn't funny. One step at a time.

As Peter Walsh says, we have so much that we no longer own our stuff, but our stuff owns us. I have been captive for years. Stay tuned to see if I ever get free! Maybe Peter wants to come over to my place next week?!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's All Too Much.