Rhonda's Reviews > Sempre

bookshelves: arc, favorites, hard-copy
Read from January 29 to February 11, 2012

See my review at:

OUTSTANDING!!
Sempre absolutely stole my heart, and there is no chance of getting it back.

J.M. Darhower took a cause she strongly believes in and centered her story around it. The outcome was beautiful, this is a story I look forward to reading time and time again. The only thing I could have asked for was…. more. Darhower did a fantastic job telling her story, and bringing her characters to life. I have always loved movies that involved the Italian Mafia like Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, Donnie Brasco, and of course the all time classic The Godfather. This book certainly tips its hat, and I loved every bit of it! There was so much plot to this story, and twists at every turn, there is action, suspense, romance, betrayal, heartbreak, redemption, and self discovery.

Haven Antonelli was born into the world of human trafficking / slavery. She has grown up on a ranch in the desert, never having any exposure to the outside world. Her world consisted of daily chores, and cruelty. One day, a turn of events finds Haven being taken away from the only place she has ever known, and sets in motion some major changes for her, along with falling in love for the first time. There are times when Haven seems really young, and other times she seems more mature. I think this is consistent to her background. My heart broke for her many times over, but I loved watching the self discovery and seeing her grow into herself.

Carmine DeMarco is the spoiled, self centered, foul mouthed, self destructive, womanizing son of a mobster. Carmine has lived a life of privilege, having more than he could ask for and taking these things for granted. He is the high school football star quarterback, has girls throwing themselves at him constantly, and finds himself in trouble on a regular basis. In spite of all this, he also has his own baggage stemming from childhood, which contributes to his behavior, drinking and drug use. Carmine doesn’t believe in love, girls are only good for one thing. That is until he wakes up one morning to find a strange girl in his family’s home. As he gets to know Haven and sees the world through her inexperienced eyes, he finds himself viewing his own life differently, and falls completely head over heels for her. Carmine finally finds purpose to his life, and a new direction. I loved Carmine so much, just adored him. *sigh*

Dr. Vincent DeMarco is tied to the mob, and fighting his internal battles on a daily basis, while trying to keep his son from entering the life he lives as part of the Mafia. He went as far as to move his sons away from Chicago to distance them from his way of life. He travels back and forth a lot so he is absent from his home and sons quite often. After his wife was murdered years earlier, it has been difficult for Vincent to pick up the pieces of his fractured life and find peace and forgiveness within himself. On a chance night he saves a girl from her detrimental fate. Saving this girl causes him a great deal of turmoil in his quest for the redemption and peace he so desperately seeks.

I loved the amazing cast of characters from the primary to the secondary, that’s why I can’t let this review slip by without mentioning Corrado. For all his faults, he seemed to be the glue that held things together for Vincent and Carmine. He had his moments with Haven too. Corrado’s wife Celia provided some motherly moments for Haven and Carmine when needed. I thought she was fantastic! And Dominic DeMarco, Carmine's older brother who is such a sweetheart!! I loved the bantering between he and Carmine. He has a level head, and is supportive of his family, and offers encouragement to Haven at times when she needs it.

Again, I love, love, loved this book!! From beginning to end there was never a time when I wanted the story to move on. Darhower poured so much love and emotion in to this novel, I laughed, I cried, and she got my adrenaline going. There are some loose ends left, but I read that this story will continue with another book, I sure hope so because I want to see how this story continues, because my mind hasn't stop working scenarios. I can’t wait for more SEMPRE!!!

Thank you to J.M Darhower for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sempre.

Quotes Rhonda Liked

“Dia wrinkled her nose. “Gross. You need a decent girl, one that can straighten you out.”
“I don't need to be straightened out,” Carmine said. “Why drown in love when you can have so much fun swimming in lust?”
J.M. Darhower, Sempre

02/02/2012
16.0% "I love Carmine!"
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R I read your review! I seen it and,and,and,Loved it,then loved it some more.....LOL!! I can't express how much I loved the book,but you wrote a review,that expressed exactly how I felt. Fantastic!

message 2: by Rhonda (last edited Feb 14, 2012 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Awww, thank you E!! Your support always means so much. I'm glad I was able to persuade you to dig into this book.

I actually hugged my kindle when I finished.. Lol!!!

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R You'll always have my Support =)

HEY!!! I don't blame you! All I have to do is stalk your review to keep my memory going to the next book LOL! I actually left my copy in my read "asap" file just incase I wanted to sneak peaks again.LOL!

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R BTW! I think someone should talk this author into doing a Book Trailor. I think it would be awesome! Just saying....hahaha!

message 5: by Rhonda (last edited Feb 14, 2012 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Girl, I have so many highlights in this book, I think I malfunctioned my kindle! Lol!

And yes! To the book trailer!!

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Im reading it now - all your hype is making me uber excited!!

Rhonda ♥ Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness wrote: "Im reading it now - all your hype is making me uber excited!!"

Squeeeeeee!!!! You are gonna love it!

Purplegirl Rhonda, thanks for the recommendation. This book was wonderful.

Rhonda Yaay!!! *wipes sweat from forehead*

Purplegirl lol. I really felt for Vincent. I wanted more for him.

Rhonda Right? He and Corrado!!

message 12: by Jeri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeri Thanks Rhonda for recommending this book to me....I
LOVED IT!!!! What a beautiful, sweet , heart wrenching book.

Rhonda Jeri wrote: "Thanks Rhonda for recommending this book to me....I
LOVED IT!!!! What a beautiful, sweet , heart wrenching book."

Oh Jeri, I'm so glad you loved it!!!
This one certainly landed on my favorites shelf. I loved this story and the characters so much.

Have you read Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

message 14: by Jeri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeri Yes I have, I loved that one too!!!.

Rhonda Jeri wrote: "Yes I have, I loved that one too!!!."

Beckett freaking Taylor!! <3

message 16: by Jeri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeri LOL...Yummy

Kaydee Great review! This is my read for the weekend!

Rhonda Kaydee wrote: "Great review! This is my read for the weekend!"

Kaydee Rhonda wrote: "Kaydee wrote: "Great review! This is my read for the weekend!"

I love this book Kadee! Hey I'm happy to loan any of my lendable books. You have kindle?"

I just finished this book!!! It was GREAT! How could you not love a character like Haven...I do have an older kindle but I find myself reading on my Ipad with the kindle app.. How can we loan books? ill have to look on amazon and see how that is done..I do find myself browsing ur library quite often when I need a good suggestion:)

Rhonda Kaydee,
I'm so glad you liked this one. As for loaning all I need is your email addy and tell me which one you want. I have a ”kindle lendable” shelf if you see something. I'm a book whore so there's a lot I haven't read. :-)

message 21: by Nessa (new) - added it

Nessa I love your reviews Rhonda! Another great one!!!

Rhonda Thank you so much Nessa!

message 23: by Nessa (new) - added it

Nessa I am reading Poughkeepsie right now...loved your review of that!! And I am OBSESSED! Love it!