Lacey Librarian's Reviews > School's Out—Forever

School's Out—Forever by James Patterson

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: at-library, science-fiction

Being a bit disappointed by the first Maximum Ride novel, I didn't have much intention of continuing the series. But then we played a game at the library where we drew numbers and had to read the book that had that number sticky-noted to it, and the number I drew corresponded with the first Maximum Ride book. Since I'd already read that one, I got clearance to read this one instead.

And with this book, I'm starting to see the appeal of this series, and think I will in fact seek out the rest of the books (which the teens assure me only get better!). This book didn't feel dependent on plot at the expense of the characters; although the plot was adequate with customary Patterson twists-and-turns and action sequences, what I really loved about this book was the way that the character development was really deepened. And James Patterson seems to have hit his stride with Max's "voice" in this novel, as it feels a lot more natural and really started to grow on me.

Also, this book starts to play with some real moral ambiguities, and raising suspicions about which characters are really "good" and which "evil"--it's one of those stories where even the villains are sympathetic to a certain extent, which I always admire. I hope the series continues along this vein!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read School's Out—Forever.