will's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jan 28, 12

Read from January 19 to 28, 2012

I was slightly disappointed with the ending of book one (The Hunger Games), but I enjoyed the premise and so decided to read book two. Oh dear.

Let me explain. I'm a school teacher. I teach sixth grade (11/12 year olds) and am on the look out for well written, exciting stories that will challenge and inspire my students. At first I thought I had found one, The Hunger Games, and even more so, I thought I had found a book with a female protagonist. At last someone who can stand up for herself, make her own decisions, and become proactive. Unfortunately, Ms. Collins seems to have given up totally on her leading light. Suddenly I appear to be reading a book from the "Twilight" series, and I seem stuck with a female character who cannot decide between one boy or the other, and instead of being proactive, is treated like an "idiot" by all those around her...including the author.

The book is frustrating. You tend to read it very quickly, it does "suck you in", but it is annoying. Personally I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. That said, you know what I'm going to do next? I'm going to read book 3. I am already dreading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

01/28/2012