Leah's Reviews > High Fidelity

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: comic, general-fiction
Read from January 19 to 22, 2012

The thing that I found myself thinking most of all about this book as I was reading it (apart from that it was so like the movie that I couldn't help but hear John Cusack and Jack Black saying the lines...) was that it was basically 'guy-lit'.

As opposed to chick-lit, you know. An easy to read, funny, genuinely touching novel with some insight into the human character that haven't dated at all, even if the pop culture references have.

Hornby writes simply and easily, not well or badly, just nicely. Rob's constant internal monologue is so readable and identifiable that you feel like you know him, or maybe you are him. Even the characters that seem stereotypical get their little moments of redemption.

If the movie hadn't been pretty close to one of my all-time top five favourites, reading this might have been more of a revelation. As it was, I still found myself laughing out loud in all kinds of scenarios, something I rarely do (although I think this speaks more to my choice of reading material than my capacity for embarrassing social practices).

I have a warm and fuzzy feeling after reading this one, and so I am unashamed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Fidelity.

01/19/2012 page 110

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tfitoby As opposed to chick-lit, you know. An easy to read, funny, genuinely touching novel with some insight into the human character that haven't dated at all,

are you saying that Marian Keyes and Sophie Kinsella are funny and genuinely touching?

Leah I don't know. I've never read any. They probably are to people who enjoy them.
Those two sentiments weren't meant to be connected, really. It is bloke-lit, and it is touching and funny, not one because of the other.

Tfitoby i guess you could take it to mean that it is funny and touching and the opposite of chicklit which is dumb and as subtle as a brick

Leah I don't think guy-lit is the opposite of chick-lit, I think Dostoyevsky or Thomas Hardy might be. Just because I enjoyed it doesn't mean it's any better than Kinsella or Keyes.
Which is not to say that I have a desire to read several books about shopping.

I do not.