Katie O'Rourke's Reviews > A Scattered Life

A Scattered Life by Karen McQuestion

Jan 19, 12

Read on January 19, 2012

Karen McQuestion's debut novel was the first self-published Kindle book to be optioned for a movie. And here's why: her characters are like real people.

The plot of A Scattered Life moves a bit slowly. I got the impression that nothing was really happening. But the characters are so believable and likable that I didn't really mind. I was content just to be in their company, listening to their conversations and finding truth and familiarity in the more mundane dramas of real life: A husband who doesn't really understand, but is trying. An annoying mother-in-law whose meddling almost makes sense. A loving, under-protective mother of a slew of active boys. There are no heroes or villains, no black and whites.

This is not a predictable story. Some things happen toward the end that seem to come out of nowhere, the way these things do in real life, and it was only then that I realized how invested I was in these imaginary people and their imaginary world. (I won't be any more specific about it, because I don't want you to be prepared.) I had a good cry while I was reading, which I NEVER do!

I enjoyed this read and will be looking for more of her books to read in the future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scattered Life.