Kimberly's Reviews > Lock and Key

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Jan 24, 12

Read from January 19 to 24, 2012

This was my first Sarah Dessen novel and overall I was pretty impressed. It was easy to get into the story right from the start. I wanted to reach out and help Ruby myself, even though she clearly didn't want any. It was no wonder that she couldn't depend on anyone or ask for any help seen as how while she was living with her mother she was the adult in that household.

One of the things I really enjoyed in this book was the relationship between Ruby and Cora. You saw it progress from animosity at the beginning to love and friendship at the end. Every time a little bit of the past came out I felt so bad for both of them. Even though Cora left when she was 18, their mother robbed them both of something special. My heart broke just a little bit in chapter 4. And in chapter 8.

Jamie was great. He was so sweet with Ruby. He went above and beyond to make her feel comfortable and get adjusted. His reaction to her in chapter 8 was perfect, even if it was a bit predictable.

Nate's story was just downright sad and made me want to hurt someone (actually a couple of someones).

I liked all of the other characters as well (even bad ones). Harriet was probably my favorite because I see a little bit of myself in her. But the other characters were in depth enough for minor characters and enjoyable, even the annoying Gervais.

My one complaint was that I felt there were too many issues touched on in this book. Everything from drugs, addiction, abuse, alcohol, neglect, friendship, and family. It was a lot and I think if a couple were taken out of the book it wouldn't have made it less, but more.

I really enjoyed the book and will probably be picking up a different book by Sarah Dessen in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock and Key.