bookczuk's Reviews > Helsinki White

Helsinki White by James Thompson

(Mild spoiler alert, if you haven't read book 2)

I'm in a bit of a quandary in writing this review, because of the duality within this book. In the first two Inspector Kari Vaara books, I've gotten to know a set of characters, and learn a bit about Finland. James Thompson threw a wild-card or two in at the end of the last book with both the new squad Kari would be heading and the diagnosis of a brain tumor. It is in this third book that both those elements shape the story, impacting the characters readers thought they knew, and twisting the story in very dark ways.

And yet, even though this story deals with the inevitable evil trio of corruption, drugs, and crime, and the fight against them, it still kept me locked in. That the fight took on a darkness of its own, I found unsettling. But life isn't clean, so why should the books we read be? The twist of the surgery affecting Kari's emotional outlet was brilliant. (Not that I liked some of results, but the plot development was a good one.) At the end of this book, I felt all characters were irrevocably changed, but not irreversibly changed. And it is because I feel there is still hope, and because I think Mr Thompson an excellent writer, and crafter of a story, that I shall look forward to book four. My four stars are not because I liked what was happening in the book, but because of the skill with which the tale was told, the effect the writing had on me, and the uniqueness of the way this author is moving the story line.

Received this book via the kind auspices of LibraryThing Early Reviewers program and the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helsinki White.

01/31/2012 ""Yes!! Got this in today's mail!! "Congratulations. You've been selected to receive an Early Reviewers copy of Helsinki White by James Thompson from the January 2012 batch.""
02/15/2012
0.0% "Received today via the kind auspices of LibraryThing Early Reviewers program and the publisher. Perfect timing, as I only have one book going right now, and can sink my greedy little reading eyes right into it!"
02/18/2012 page 59
18.0% "There's barely a better anticipation than that of picking up a novel by an author you like."