P.J. Sullivan's Reviews > Bushwhackers and Broken Hearts: Letters from Missouri during the Civil War

Bushwhackers and Broken Hearts by P.J. Sullivan

Nov 08, 2015

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: civil-war, letters, history, historical, nonfiction, civil-war-letters, missouri, american-history, arkansas, st-louis, mississippi-valley, correspondence, historical-letters, american-civil-war
Recommended for: Civil War buffs, Missourians

These Civil War letters were tucked away at the Missouri Historical Society for many years, unknown to the descendants of the letter writers. I am a descendant. When I discovered them in 2007 I undertook to decipher them and assemble them into a readable story. Even to read them was a challenge, but now we can catch a glimpse into those troubled times in the lives of three ordinary families in rural Missouri. The history books tell us about the Civil War in the South and the East, but don't say much about upper Missouri, which was wilder than the Wild West in those days. These letters are authentic primary sources.

Readers should understand that this book is 100% nonfiction. It is not a novel. It does not promise a happy ending or romance on every page. It leaves the reader with questions as well as answers.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bushwhackers and Broken Hearts.